What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP! Worried about tub freezing!  (Read 4662 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
HELP! Worried about tub freezing!
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:22:02 am »
I'm in MIchigan and due to an ice storm thousands have lost power. Our power is estimated to be restored on December 28th.

My hot tub is a Hot Springs 2005 Vanguard, It sits inside an enclosed gazebo. It lost power yesterday morning (12/21/13) and was running at 101 degrees. It's wired using 220.

How long can I wait before I have to take action?

What do I need to do?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

HELP! Worried about tub freezing!
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:22:02 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: HELP! Worried about tub freezing!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:09:06 am »
I'm not an expert in freeze-related stuff, living in California, but I would think that you have at least two options:

1.Drain the tub. Open both drain caps: one is the main drain for the tub, the other is the plumbing drain for just such times as this. Blow the tub and lines clear with a yard vac/ leaf blower (rent or borrow gas powered).
2.Find a way to power the circ pump. Not jet pumps, just the little circulating pump. This can be done by running power from a generator (even a teeny tiny one) to the pump directly. You will have to open the scary box and unplug the wires from the mother board, and then put power to them. Strip the end off a light-duty extension cord, strip a good inch of each wire from said cord, and wrap one each around the black and white wires which go to the small pump. Tape them up good for safety. Then plug that extension in to your back up source of power, which could even be a battery and inverter. The pumps in our current tubs draw only 55 watts, I don't know for sure what the wattage is for your '05, but it may be 90 watts. That small circulation will keep the tub motor compartment and plumbing safe for days and days.

I would think you should cover the tub with blankets and tarps too, if possible.

I'm sure we'll have some other technicians chiming in here soon - with more expertise in ice and snow, I hope !

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 05:28:16 pm »
Yea your going to have to drain and winterize unless you can supply a repair tent and heat. Not sure about where you live but it is supposed to be -17F here in Northern Minnesota tonight so.........No tub can survive that without power.
Retired

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:11:24 pm »
Was trying to locate a generator so I could wire a 220 pigtale to bring it back up to temp but generators sold out in the state of Michigan. I was late to the party.

The water was still very warm/hot when I stuck my hand in today. Hotsprings are fully insulated. If no other options on a generator come about, I will drain it...

Thanks for the replies!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:14:07 pm »
The problem won't be in the body of water for quite some time. It will be in the lines that are closest to the outside walls in the insulation.
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 02:13:30 am »
If you can get power to it just for a bit and run RV anti freeze through the system, you should be ok.  Sounds like getting a generator will be the problem.. I hope things work out for you.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 07:57:51 am »
Some tubs have an open interior space such as my old Coleman.  If you have this, you could perhaps get a kerosene heater and place it near the opening to focus heat into the cabinet.    Just a thought, I don't know if it would apply in your case.
If you end up draining the tub, I believe you should loosen the unions at your pumps, to let them drain.   We have some great Techs here.  I'm sure they can help. 

How are you making out?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 10:34:33 am »
In the kind of weather he is talking in MI. I had -26 last night! A heater inside the cabinet with the cabinet sealed tight could keep the plumbing from freezing, but it would have to be electric and you have the gen set problem. It's a difficult task. I use propane or kerosene torpedo type heaters in my freeze prevention repair tent but I use a small generator to power the heater fan. And you can do the same thing in the equipment bay of a foam filler tub. But either way you have to seal the cabinet and have a gen set. I prefer a trouble light in a full foam tubs small equipment bay.
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 09:08:37 am »
I hope you visit after your power is restored and let us know how you made out.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 07:19:11 am »
Have you called around to see if there are any gens to be rented?
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »
Unfortunately, when a major electrical outage occurs, generators are grabbed up fast.   

After the Derecho, a couple of years ago, left us without AC and water (we are on well), I decided enough was enough, and picked up a generator so we wouldn't be in that situation again.   If there is something to be learned from these horrible storms (both summer and winter), it is that you are at the mercy of mother nature, and more often than not, left to your own devices.   
I think it would be a good idea for all hot tub owners to invest in a generator.  You may not have enough power to keep it running, but you can a least provide heat to the interior cabinet during freezing conditions.

I hope Drober made out ok.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42