What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Skin issues  (Read 3679 times)

pilotdarrel

Skin issues
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:04 pm »
We've owned our tub for almost three years.  In the last 6 months we have been having skin issues.  Specifically, our skin itches, we have red bumps (like mosquito bites), and our skin seems very dry.  We use chlorine.  Is this problem strictly pH?  Or is there something else going on?

Hot Tub Forum

Skin issues
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:04 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Skin issues
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:05:14 pm »
 Could be a few things, low PH, bacterial, old water.   More info needed....     

pilotdarrel

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:03:38 am »
Thanks, Jim.  The water was recently changed.  I change it before the cold months set in - so it was done in OCT.  Now that two of our three kids are in college, it doesn't get used very much.  I travel out of town and only use it about 10 times per month.  We keep the temp at 104 because we like it there in the winter months (was -10F outside last night!).  When the tub was used frequently by my teens I was having bacterial problems (white spooge in the filter and water).  I then started using a chlorine floater.  Using the floater was easier for my kids to remember.  My water is clear and doesn't seem to have too much of a chlorine smell.  I'm thinking my problem could be too much chlorine.  I just don't want to come home to a prehistoric growth problem in my tub.  I will test the pH and chlorine levels tomorrow and let you know.

clover

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:11:15 pm »
…..I then started using a chlorine floater…..My water is clear and doesn't seem to have too much of a chlorine smell.  I'm thinking my problem could be…..

It would help to know what kind of system we are working with, and if you have an ozonator.  But, what screams at me is your chlorine floater, which uses tri-chlor tablets, a pool product, and a no-no in a Hot Tub.

Your description sounds more like pseudomonas, which is a bacterium that attacks the hair follicle, and is a sign of inadequate sanitation.  Get some di-chlor, which is a granular product, and is the only form of chlorine that is compatible with Hot Tubs. 
Incidentally, my first testers are sight and smell.  When you smell the water, or more specifically, when you smell chemicals, your pH is out of balance.  Tri-chlor is very low on the pH scale, and the reason it should not be used in a Hot Tub.  A bromine floater is OK, but also low on the pH scale, while di-chlor is pH neutral
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

pilotdarrel

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:15:25 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Okay, you're right!  My floater was using trichlor.  Luckily it broke last week so I will not replace it.  My sanitizer is dichlor, so that is good.  This morning I tested my chlorine & pH levels.  The chlorine was in the 2-3 ppm range.  The pH was 6.5 - 6.7.  The info I have is to get the pH in the 7.2-7.8 range.  I have spent the last 2 hours slowly raising the pH.  It is now about 7.0.  The water is clear and there is minimal chemical smell. My filter is also clean.  Am I going down the right road?

clover

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 09:05:34 pm »
Good Job, now you will see how the water is different, enjoy your soaking  :)
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 09:05:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42