What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Physics - What Happens to the water ?  (Read 2085 times)

goneaway

Physics - What Happens to the water ?
« on: November 28, 2013, 04:22:21 am »
I performed a refill at the weekend, and wondering what actually happens to the water over time.

Today if it put the jets on, and switch on the aerators, the resulting bubbles are quite large, and dissipate very easily.

Yet i know from experience that over the coming weeks, these bubbles will become smaller, and take longer to dissipate. This is when the foaming starts.

So in this time, what's actually happening to the structure of the water ?

Hot Tub Forum

Physics - What Happens to the water ?
« on: November 28, 2013, 04:22:21 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Physics - What Happens to the water ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:29:53 am »
Dissolved solids are building up.
Retired

goneaway

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:42:47 am »
I've read spec on certain clarifiers that talk about combining sub 20 micron particles.
I've tried only one brand of water clarifier, and whilst my water always looks clean, i'm not sure if it really had any effect.
Keeping the foaming at bay is my only issue i have with looking after the water.
Regardless of what i've tried.

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:39:11 pm »
It's the buildup of soap-like molecules that cause the foaming.  Higher calcium levels, such as a Calcium Hardness (CH) in the 120-150 ppm range, reduces the effect because calcium combines with stearate to form soap scum so essentially removes what would become soap bubbles or foam.

The most likely source is leftover soap in your swimsuit or on your skin (including some skin oil).  If you thoroughly rinse your suits and wash and thoroughly rinse your skin, you should have less of a soap buildup issue.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:39:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42