What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HotSpring Classic 1987 heater leaking - need help!  (Read 3681 times)

AmyS

HotSpring Classic 1987 heater leaking - need help!
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:25 pm »
Hello all,
I have a HotSpring Classic "Dog Dish" spa from 1987. My water level dropped below the filter weir door, and there was a small wet area on the ground outside the service door. This wet spot was just near the cutout where the drain goodies are, and where the electrical cord passes. I unplugged the spa. Next, I dried out the mechanicals compartment, and then could readily and rapidly see a new puddle forming under the heater's inlet and outlet ports. I drained the tub completely yesterday and today everything seems to be drying out nicely.

Historically, I have had trouble with this spa tripping the GFI when I'm starting up the spa with fresh water. Once it gets up to temp, it holds really well and no longer trips the GFI. That problem I just put up with.

I'm really hopeful that I can disconnect and remove the heater myself for further inspection, but this will be my first time. Hopefully, there are some minor failed parts in the heater assembly or the hose that passes from the pump to the heater that I can fix/replace, then re-install and enjoy the tub again. With the tub being 25+ years old, I'm not inclined to spend more than a couple hundred for parts/labor to get it running again, but I do miss having it! I'm not confident I'll find a new spa that matches my old spa's features (open seating, cool-down seat, durable in Arizona sun!) to replace it.

Any advice about:
- chasing down leaks (no guarantee just yet that it is the heater - could be the line from the small pump, or the pump)
- removing the heater assembly
- diagnosing the heater leak

Much appreciated!
Amy

Hot Tub Forum

HotSpring Classic 1987 heater leaking - need help!
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:25 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: HotSpring Classic 1987 heater leaking - need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:00:59 pm »
the heater housing may be leaking. It is easy to get, easy to install. I would replace the heater element at the same time, just to save having to do it in a month from now...

You can also get new vinyl tubing at most hardware stores or garden centers, just be sure it is the thick-walled type used by the spa maker. Warm it in hot water to get it to slip on the nipples and seal up quickly - use the spring-type clamps, NOT screw clamps.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

AmyS

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:26:10 pm »
the heater housing may be leaking. It is easy to get, easy to install. I would replace the heater element at the same time, just to save having to do it in a month from now...

You can also get new vinyl tubing at most hardware stores or garden centers, just be sure it is the thick-walled type used by the spa maker. Warm it in hot water to get it to slip on the nipples and seal up quickly - use the spring-type clamps, NOT screw clamps.

HTH

8)

Chas, thank you. That is what I suspect is leaking is the housing. I don't know how to disconnect the tubing from the inlet/outlet ports. Hard to see back there, of course. I have used an awkward mirror/light manuever, and see a lot of rust around the housing. I can also see small white PVC elbows back there, but I can't figure out what I'll be un-doing to be able to remove the housing from within the compartment. Any thoughts or advice you can share? Again, Thanks!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »
Drain the tub, remove the one (or two) large hose clamps which hold the heater in place.

Pull it out a little ways from the wall of the motor compartment, and then

Squeeze the spring clamps and slide them away from the end of the tubing, if you can.

Then simply wiggle and tug the tubing off the inlet/outlet of the heater.

Yes, those are PVC elbows, and they are very simply glued to the vinyl tubing. You can replace it all from the Garden Center or Hardware Store - but usually just dipping it into hot water to soften it up and then slipping it all back onto the new heater housing is fine. Stay with the spring clamps - radiator clamps (the screw type) are guaranteed to leak.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42