What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Green water  (Read 1926 times)

ChrisDK

Green water
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:30:34 am »
Had the tub for 3½ months now, it's used every day, chlorine added after use and shocked once a week.The water is tested every 2nd day. I have also cleaned the filters on time every month.

For the first 2½ months no problems, chlorine added every day, PH down when needed and non chlorine shock every saturday.

I ran dry of the original chlorine granules so changed over to another brand as I couldn't get the same, I noticed after a few days that now instead of PH rising, it keeps dropping so I have to use PH up.

Over the last week the water has started to go green, and as it has been over 3 months now is the time to change the water.

I changed the water yesterday and all was fine this morning, so I adjusted the PH, left it 30 mins and added a good dose of chlorine granules.

Came back to it 2 hours later and it's greener than ever!!

I am thinking maybe I haven't been adding enough chlorine over a long period and now have algae in the pipes.

Normally I add enough chlorine to get to 2ppm but if I test it 12 hours later it reads 0, I thought the ozone was breaking it down.

I have shocked it and added clarifier, so if the water clears up should I ditch it, refill and clean the filters?

Here's how it looks now

Hot Tub Forum

Green water
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:30:34 am »

bob snader

Re: Green water
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »
Green water is usually not enough sanitizer.

Yes, ozone does break down chlorine among other things. Personally speaking, I'm not a big believer in ozonators. I used to use one and have disconnected since saw very little advantage in them at all.

Has the use of your hot tub increased? More users and/or increased usage of a hot tub will result in the chlorine being spent faster which of course means you need to put more in.

I would shock the heck out of it until the water is clear (a couple days to a week). I would also increase your 2ppm to at least 3 (the recommended is 3 to 5... and I don't for a minute believe this 2ppm stuff if an ozonator is present)

You also mentioned that you're shocking with a non chlorine shock. If you're using dichlor for your regular maintenance then you should probably also use dichlor for shocking. At least I find it a lot easier and more reliable.

ChrisDK

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:04:14 pm »
Thanks Bob.

The water is now looking clear again after more chlorine and shock.

I will clean the filter tomorrow and make sure I keep the levels a little higher.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:04:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42