What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to remove foreign object from hot tub line?  (Read 19373 times)

Moeron81

How to remove foreign object from hot tub line?
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:10:18 am »
I recently purchased a Viking Legend spa. Piece of plastic (about the size of a golf pencil) accidentally got sucked into hot tub pipe while filter was removed for cleaning. I could hear it rattling in the pipes, and I turned off the power to the tub to avoid further problems. I've read on websites to open up the union valve, but do I need to close the little knobs on the Pvc pipe first? Also will water start spilling in the cabinet? Do I need to empty the tub?  And lastly what is the best tool to open the union? I'm nervous about causing more than problems.

Hot Tub Forum

How to remove foreign object from hot tub line?
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:10:18 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: How to remove foreign object from hot tub line?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:47:26 am »
Unless it is in the pump I am afraid you are going to have to drain the tub and then take it apart at the unions and try and flush it down and out. If it is in the pump then close the slice valves on both sides of the pump and take the union apart with a big channel lock pliers or strap wrench on the filter or incoming side and see if you can reach in and get it. May have to pull both unions apart and take the pump out to get enough room to get it out.
Retired

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:05:52 pm »
I have used a swimming pool hose to start a syphon and back-flow the plumbing in question - with great results.

Remove the filter or replicate whatever the situation was when the piece was sucked in, and then apply the suction of the syphon right at that spot. I have gotten sticks from N2 cartridges, underwear, bathing suits, washcloths, and even one very small rubber ducky out this way, and didn't need to even so much as open the equipment compartment door.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:18:31 pm »
Underwear...hehehehe
Retired

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »
Last time something got sucked down my filter line I just turned the tub off and used the wet/dry vacuum.

Took about three attempts to get the timing down to pull the wet dry vac up and grasp the object before it sank back down.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42