What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New vs Used Energy Efficiency  (Read 4274 times)

Always Learning

New vs Used Energy Efficiency
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:41 am »
We've just started comparing new vs used hot tubs and I've become concerned with how efficient the older models are. There is an assumption that new models are going to be more efficient but is there a general cut off for older models we shouldn't go past? A lot of the ones on craigslist near here are 8-10 years old.

For instance, at local rates, my friend pays over $100/month for his 10+ year old model. Hot Springs has a calculator on their site saying that we'd pay locally about $27 or less per month. A $75/month difference is huge and would probably justify buying a new model. But if I could save several grand by buying a used but efficient model it would make me very happy. :)

Thanks for any help!

Hot Tub Forum

New vs Used Energy Efficiency
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:41 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: New vs Used Energy Efficiency
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:12 am »
Unless you put a dedicated meter on the spa, you really are only guessing at the cost. There's SO many things that can cause changes in energy usage....a second older and failing refrigerator in the garage, colder weather this year as compared to last, newer electronics (TV's) that continue to suck large amounts of power even when turned off (this is why they turn on almost instantly), and much much more. I highly doubt that 10 year old spa is costing $100 a month...though, if the cover is shot and water logged it's possible...but would happen with any spa.

There are older spas that are going to be much more energy efficient than some new spas. It's simply a matter of quality and how they're built and how they're insulated.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »
We've just started comparing new vs used hot tubs and I've become concerned with how efficient the older models are. There is an assumption that new models are going to be more efficient but is there a general cut off for older models we shouldn't go past? A lot of the ones on craigslist near here are 8-10 years old.

For instance, at local rates, my friend pays over $100/month for his 10+ year old model. Hot Springs has a calculator on their site saying that we'd pay locally about $27 or less per month. A $75/month difference is huge and would probably justify buying a new model. But if I could save several grand by buying a used but efficient model it would make me very happy. :)

Thanks for any help!

What brand of tub does your friend have? Hot Springs is one of the most efficient manufacturers out there. If your asking us if a 10+ year old Hot Springs is the same as a new one? I would guess that if they are the same size they are very close.
Retired

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »

Thanks for any help!

What brand of tub does your friend have? Hot Springs is one of the most efficient manufacturers out there. If your asking us if a 10+ year old Hot Springs is the same as a new one? I would guess that if they are the same size they are very close.

internally as far as insulation is concerned, nothing in the Hot Spring collection has changed in the last 10 years, I'm sure they've slapped some "energy efficient" stickers on the jet pumps now days (complete BS as nobody regulates that) but everything should be the same.  The same would also go for most high end reputable brands

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42