What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How long is too long for my water to clear?  (Read 2149 times)

Wannatub

How long is too long for my water to clear?
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:03:17 am »
It's been 10 days since I drained and refilled.  I'm on well water and even though it looked fine when it was done, I know I've got metals in the water so I added 4 oz. of Metal Free as per the instructions on the bottle.  As expected, the tub took on the unappealing hue of a giant urine sample, but the test strips told me things were otherwise in line.  I let it go overnight and rinsed the filters the next day, but there was no improvement in the color, so I added another 4oz of the Metal Free.  After another day of filter rinses and waiting it was still was ugly enough that we didn't really want to get in so I added another 8oz and rinsed and waited.  At day 3 I noticed some improvement but still wasn't too excited about getting into it, so I dumped the rest of the bottle in and rinsed and waited some more. We visited the dealer (I needed more Metal Free) and he said to keep the chlorine level lower thinking it may be somehow working against the Metal Free. By day 5 it was starting to get clearer and since the test strips still said things were still OK and the water wasn't cloudy, I figured it probably wouldn't hurt us so we got back into our nightly soaks at last -- but the water still isn't sparkling clear like it was.  By now it looks more like a cup of very weak tea, and we're using it daily, but I'm getting tired of rinsing the filters every day hoping that it will make a difference.  I've lost track of just how much Metal Free I've put in by now and I'm wondering if I should just dump it and start all over again...  What would you guys do at this point?

Hot Tub Forum

How long is too long for my water to clear?
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:03:17 am »

bob snader

Re: How long is too long for my water to clear?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:42 pm »
but I'm getting tired of rinsing the filters every day hoping that it will make a difference. 

If I remember correctly, what that metal free does is clump the metals up into larger formations so your filter can pick it out. That being the case then given enough time it SHOULD clear up if you keep washing that filter out.

However, If your water has as much metal as it seems then you should be using a better filtration system. Run your water through rainfresh filters With a 1 to 5 micron rating BEFORE it enters the tub and that'll take care of most of it. I have minor rust issues in my tap water and in fact now run my tub regularly with anywhere between 1 and 30 micron filters. I have built mine right in now as part of the tub circulation system so even when my water looks a bit like tea (which is about every time I fill it) it is filtered out and crystal clear inside of 48 hours with 1 and 5 micron filters.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 08:18:50 am »
Impressive setup, Bob.   :)
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 08:18:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42