What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New spa - subpanel included?  (Read 6278 times)

MTSB

New spa - subpanel included?
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:19:28 pm »
Are subpanels typically included with a new hot tub? It seems that Hot Springs includes them, but is it the case with others? If not included, is this something that has to be purchased from the spa company, or are these general boxes that an electrician can easily supply?

Thanks.....

Hot Tub Forum

New spa - subpanel included?
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:19:28 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: New spa - subpanel included?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:10:42 pm »
Hot springs and caldera include them as they aren't regular off the shelf panels. Most other brands do not. You can get one at. Your local home depot for under $100

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:40:55 pm »
 When I add it, it's when I get the question.  Well they offer it, do you?    ::)   People really pay for it, they just don't know it. 

MTSB

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:53:42 pm »
Okay, I'll bite.... Are you saying that it's built into your price whether they get it or not (since you implied that only those who ask for it get it)? Or are you saying that it's built into the price of the competitor's spa?

If it's the latter, when a customer asks for it, do you add it for free?

I know it's only a hundred bucks, but now I'm curious....

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:35:41 am »
Okay, I'll bite.... Are you saying that it's built into your price whether they get it or not (since you implied that only those who ask for it get it)? Or are you saying that it's built into the price of the competitor's spa?

If it's the latter, when a customer asks for it, do you add it for free?

They include it with all sales if it's needed because it is a 2 breaker panel made specifically for their tubs.
Retired

zroger73

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:49:40 am »

It is more than $100! Try $425-$500 (depending on where you purchase it) for a typical Hot Spring spa. Foolishly, I left the one that came with my 2008 Sovereign at my old house and had to buy a new one when I built a new house. The enclosure is branded Cutler Hammer, but it is a special model made exclusively for Hot Spring. The two 2-pole Cutler Hammer GFCI breakers are standard, but expensive as are most GFCI breakers. You could purchase the required GFCI breakers and an enclosure, but you're going to end up in a similar price range and there's always extra liability and safety risks when wiring the spa differently than the manufacturer recommends.
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:58:38 am »
Are subpanels typically included with a new hot tub? It seems that Hot Springs includes them, but is it the case with others? If not included, is this something that has to be purchased from the spa company, or are these general boxes that an electrician can easily supply?

Thanks.....

A Hot Spring subpanel is different because instead of a 50A breaker it has two separate breakers, a 20A and a 30A. Its a better all the way around for the manufacturer to buy them in bulk and include it with the spa than to expect every customer to get it themselves which would ad cost and inconvenience. When comparing it to another spa deal just factor in that you'll need to add a breaker to that other deal. The nice thing about having the separate breakers is that the heater is on one breaker all by itself. If the heater ever fails and trips the breaker the pumps and the controls will still operate so the water will still be filtering/moving which is important in cold weather areas where a spa outage in the middle of winter can be a big problem, especially if you're unaware for a day or two that its even tripped.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:09:32 pm »
The split breaker is very nice....is it 100% foolproof against freezing, no..but selling spas in MN I can tell you that is has saved plenty of spas in MN winters, more specifically saved homeowners from filing a claim on their homeowners insurance after their spa has froze solid  ;D

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 05:43:05 pm »
Yea, it has saved many a spa for sure. The circ pump and a trouble light can save a spa for the entire Minnesota winter. Been there done that.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:06 pm »
  You guys are make it sound like the HS heater fails a lot?     ;) 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »

na, its more of a numbers game...see Jim when you outsell your closest competitor 3 to 1 that's what happens  8)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:57 am »

na, its more of a numbers game...see Jim when you outsell your closest competitor 3 to 1 that's what happens  8)

So you sell more spa's, so you have more heater problems..  Makes sense.. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 07:03:57 am »
LOL I like a good spirited dealer battle.
Retired

geprice

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 09:03:47 am »
I found the GE TL510RT panel at 1sourcedist for $46.12 in July, $62.30 to my door.  They are $55 + delivery today.  I purchase the corresponding thql2120gf1 & thql2130gf1 breakers at Pacificcoastbreaker.  They are $85 each.  This combo was the HS standard in the past.   The panel has 5 positions so you can add one additional circuit.  I used 4 ga copper from the main. 4 ga looks like the max size for the ground buss out of the box. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:07:36 am by geprice »

MTSB

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:00:04 pm »
To follow up on my original post.... The dealer ended up including it at my request. All is well with the universe.

Thanks for the responses.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:00:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42