What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How do you re-fill a tub in the dead of winter ? Is it safe ?  (Read 22610 times)

kurt6137

How do you re-fill a tub in the dead of winter ? Is it safe ?
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:26:38 am »
I have a question, I usually change my water 2x a year, once in October and once in March. They say change the water every 3 months, my water usually stays good until spring, but say I had to change the water in the middle of January in upstate NY.  Is it safe to do so ?  Would the lines freeze in the hot tub, before i could get it started up again, I can fill my tub from my well in about 2 to 3 hours. I really dont like the idea of draining and refilling in the middle of winter.

Hot Tub Forum

How do you re-fill a tub in the dead of winter ? Is it safe ?
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:26:38 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: How do you re-fill a tub in the dead of winter ? Is it safe ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:34:07 am »
Don't, time your water changes to avoid Dec, Jan and Feb
Retired

goneaway

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:37:51 am »
I'll probably watch the weather forecast and time mine when we have a mild spell.
Although I do believe NY State is much colder than the Northern half of the UK ??

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:12 am »
I've been doing this 10 years now and its a combo of three things. I watch the weather forecast and try to time it anywhere from Mid to late October and try to get that to hold me over till March.   I also watch for a sudden warm spell, we almost always get one in January or Feb.  Finally, I'll do a couple of partial changes if we had a long cold spell. I can drain 100 gallons pretty quick and I have a short hose that barely makes it from the spicket to the edge of my hot tub (about 8 feet) and I use that to replace the water I quickly drain.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tomedav

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 11:54:20 am »
If you are draining for a long-term see 'winterizing'. If you are draining for a repair:

Place a space heater in the equipment area while you work. If you'll be working more than a few hours and the temperature is well below freezing, use a wet/dry vacuum to remove water from as much of the plumbing as you can paying special attention to skimmers, filters, floor jets and waterfalls/water features. You'll need to open plumbing connections in the equipment to accomplish this but I presume that's why you have to drain it in the first place.

Repair the tub with the primary objective of getting the plumbing connected first so you can start filling as soon as possible. Bolt things to the floor, connect bond wires, clean up, etc only after you have the tub filling again.

(In extreme conditions, it's better to fully winterize first so if something prevents you from completing the repair you're already prepared for the delay.)

Fill the foot well with cold water then run the hose to the hot water faucet behind your washing machine. You'll end up emptying the tank but it will give you a good head start on reheating the batch of water. Be certain to fill the foot well with cold water and place the hot water hose so it pours directly into the cold water and does not create a hot spot anywhere on the acrylic (or other surface).

Consider installing shut-off valves while you have the tub drained so you can make repairs without draining it next time.

When I have a tub that takes a long time to refill, I set up a collapsible kiddie pool nearby. I pump the water out to the kiddie pool, make the repair and pump the water back. I can move 400 gallons of water round trip in under 30 minutes. I do it here in San Diego because I don't want to stand around for two or three hours watching a tub fill but I'll bet the technique would be handy anywhere there is a freeze risk.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:32:46 pm »
I have a 400 gallon tank that I put in the back of my truck and a 90 GPM pump that I can use to quickly empty and refill a tub for a winter repair. I also have a 10x10 tent that I can heat to 90 degrees in -10 degree weather.

But for water changes it will never be a problem if you time them right. Especially for the mild winters in upstate NY
Retired

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »
I drain in winter all the time - never had a single problem. Sometimes I even leave it draining overnight and fill it the next evening after work. Again, no problem.

Of course, I live in Ventura, CA right by the ocean... Does that make a difference?  ;)

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 06:49:18 am »
Or you could move to CA. Shut up Chas!!!
Retired

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:27 pm »
Or you could move to CA. Shut up Chas!!!

lol...isn't Cali about to break off from the rest of country? ala escape from LA style?  8) ya thats right don't call for help Chas  ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 12:27:08 am »
 :) :) ;D ;D

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:41:49 pm »
I'm in upstate NY too. I've drained mine for the last 5 years with no problems in the winter. I always dump my water Thanksgiving week then sometime in late Jan or earlier as I love fresh water. We usually will get a warmer day sometime in Jan. I've filled from my hot supply from the laundry room and ran a hose, just used the outside cold, or if it doesn't warm up a little I just dump half the tub and refill with cold. This last option is fast and still gives fresher water.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:41:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42