What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: tub heating time  (Read 7732 times)

bob snader

Re: tub heating time
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 09:04:31 am »
Calculations also assume 100% efficiency of heat transfer to the water, so probably need to adjust a little for that.

Can't believe you electricity is so much cheaper, we will be paying around 18c / kwH here in the UK...

Well, (resistive) heating with electricity is close enough to 100% efficient so you may as well call it that and since the element is immersed directly into the water there are no losses to the air

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 09:04:31 am »

buzzsaw90

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »
Just got my first utility bill post-tub. The tub went in on the 27th of September and the bill covers 9/25 to 10/24 so close to a perfect overlap. Compared to Last year, our electric usage went up from 820 to 1179 kWh. If all of those extra electrons went to the tub (@ 7.5 cents /kWh) then it cost $26.93 in electricity to run for the month. I think I'll track this for a few months. Next month should be a bit better since we won't have the initial water heating day. Good news for me and thank you to all the frackers out there keeping electricity cheap.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 03:13:21 pm »
Just got my first utility bill post-tub. The tub went in on the 27th of September and the bill covers 9/25 to 10/24 so close to a perfect overlap. Compared to Last year, our electric usage went up from 820 to 1179 kWh. If all of those extra electrons went to the tub (@ 7.5 cents /kWh) then it cost $26.93 in electricity to run for the month. I think I'll track this for a few months. Next month should be a bit better since we won't have the initial water heating day. Good news for me and thank you to all the frackers out there keeping electricity cheap.

LOL love the North Dakota reference.
Retired

zroger73

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 12:12:35 pm »
Calculations also assume 100% efficiency of heat transfer to the water, so probably need to adjust a little for that.

Can't believe you electricity is so much cheaper, we will be paying around 18c / kwH here in the UK...

Since we're talking about electrical resistance heating here, all of the energy used by the heater itself is transferred to the water. It has nowhere else to go! It isn't like a heat exchanger in a furnace where there is some heat loss in the combustion gasses. However, there are transmission losses in the wiring between your utility meter and the hot tub's heater that must be considered. Provided the wiring is appropriately sized, these losses will be about 40 watts for a 50-foot run to a hot tub with a 6,000-watt heater - about $2 per month if the heater ran continuously, which it does not. The real-world cost for this transmission loss might be a nickel or a dime at most - even less when you consider some of the heat generated by the wire's resistance might be in your wall and some gets transferred into your home which offsets home heating costs. Point being, the amount of transmission loss is minuscule and not even worthy of discussion in this application.

Electricity is always "cheap" here. My 1,600 sq. ft. home built in 2012 is "all-electric". My electric bill averages $95 per month. Water is a different story - I'm on a municipal water system owned by the tiny, incorporated "city" I live in. There are only a few hundred customers, so we pay quite a premium for our award-winning water. :)
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 12:12:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42