What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Don't you just hate it when ? part 2.  (Read 6164 times)

BuckeyeFan

Don't you just hate it when ? part 2.
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:12:11 pm »
Come home from a long hard day at work. Fix dinner , clean up mess from dinner, take dog for walk, then get ready to go relax and destress in the hot tub. Grab my towel, put my suit on , grab a couple of cold ones, go outside, turn on Monday night football on the tv and settle in. 10 minutes later my paradise island was rudely interrupted by the smell of a skunk who let go of a stink bomb in my backyard somewhere.  So I packed up and went back in the house to watch the game. Maybe tomorrow night.

Hot Tub Forum

Don't you just hate it when ? part 2.
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:12:11 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Don't you just hate it when ? part 2.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 07:32:31 am »
Come home from a long hard day at work. Fix dinner , clean up mess from dinner, take dog for walk, then get ready to go relax and destress in the hot tub. Grab my towel, put my suit on , grab a couple of cold ones, go outside, turn on Monday night football on the tv and settle in. 10 minutes later my paradise island was rudely interrupted by the smell of a skunk who let go of a stink bomb in my backyard somewhere.  So I packed up and went back in the house to watch the game. Maybe tomorrow night.

We live in different corners of Buckeye Nation. I've had my soak interrupted by gunfire, but never a skunk.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

BuckeyeFan

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:42:18 am »
Gunfire ? Yikes! That's scary.   I live in the south west corner of the state in the burbs. I live in a typical housing plat but behind my house is a  creek, then a wooded area then a park. So my rear neighbors are all kinds of woodland creatures.  Skunks are really bad this year.

goneaway

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:31:12 am »
Living in the UK, I don't know what a Skunk smells like.
Are they really that bad.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:05 pm »
Living in the UK, I don't know what a Skunk smells like.
Are they really that bad.

Definitely a unique smell, obnoxious is a good word to describe it, but it varies with level.   One squirt can make be smelled over a square mile or more and be noticable. Within a few hundred yards unpleasant, and a direct hit can be nauseating.  The only time I had a direct hit was to the front of my car when I was passing a big truck and the truck hit the skunk and the business end sprayed the front of my car. Unfortunately it was winter, we had to keep the windows up and the heater going for the remaining 100 miles.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:07:32 pm »
To give you an idea of how bad a skunk's odor is, it is their first line of defense.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:32:29 pm »
And when one gets your dog it takes a year or so for it to completely go away no matter how many baths with all kind of different concoctions. Here in Northern Minnesota we use a pistol where I live, but them damn baby's are so stinking cute.....literally.

Had one under the shed by the lake, wasn't hurting anything but you could smell him/her anytime you went down there. Decided to jack the shed up with 40 cal in hand. Saw mommy with 5 babies and g-friend said "no the baby's will die if you kill the mother, and they are so cute" Needless to say mothballs chased them away and they have never been back this year. See if the moth balls keep them outa there next year.
Retired

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 08:23:07 am »
Tman, your g-friend could spring for the vet to remove the stink glands and she could keep them for pets.  8)
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

goneaway

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:33:04 am »
I didn't realise they were that bad.
I always assumed they smell like a Ferret or Polecat, only these don't smell so bad after 5 minutes.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »
Tman, your g-friend could spring for the vet to remove the stink glands and she could keep them for pets.  8)

She asked me that very question.....LOL.....NO

I talked to the Vet. He said they die when their stink glands are removed, sorry baby.  ;)
Retired

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 06:22:20 pm »

She asked me that very question.....LOL.....NO

I talked to the Vet. He said they die when their stink glands are removed, sorry baby.  ;)

That's funny!   ;D

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. I've met a few people that have skunks as pets (glands removed...my father's a vet). HOWEVER, even with the scent gland removed, they still have that skunk smell quite noticeably.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42