What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My new hot tub - Sundance Optima  (Read 10714 times)

mas

My new hot tub - Sundance Optima
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:00:07 am »
I've looked at so many tubs in the past six months it makes my head hurt! I realized I needed a better plan than getting the "best" or "cheapest". After carefully evaluating what I wanted from a hot tub, I built a decision matrix based on the things important to me: cost, warranty, dealer experience, jet placement and performance, and ability to seat  four comfortably. I considered the Marquis reward and 545, D1 Nautique, Caldera Niagara and Salinas, Sundance Optima and Chelsea, and Hot Springs Flair and Pulse. The ability to seat four led me away from any tub with a lounger. I ranked each category from 0-5, and totaled the points to help me decide the best tub for me.

Based on my subjective rankings, I chose a 2012 demo  Sundance Optima.The tub was delivered last week, and the electrician came yesterday  and wired it up. It killed me to see the tub in the backyard and not able to use it, but the electrician was not available till yesterday.

I also have to mention the diy pad I built for the spa. I spent a lot of time deciding what to do. The extremes went from a $1400 concrete pad to a dealer recommended $250 4x4 frame with pea gravel. The pad I built is essentially a deck without deck boards level to the ground, adjacent to a deck we are having built. I used the website http://www.ideasfordeckdesigns.com/calculators/deck-load-calculator.php to help determine placement and number of footings.  There are lots of different ways to do footings, but I used the website at https://www.decks.com/deckbuilding/The_Buried_Post_Footing for the footing itself.

I excavated a 90" square 8" deep.  I dug the nine 48" deep  holes for the posts with a rented powered post hole digger - that was hard work! I built an 89" square  4x4 frame then connected three 4x4 beams inside the frame, using three 36" 4x4 posts per beam. Of course I matched the posts to the holes. I placed the frame in the pad with the posts going in the holes I dug. I leveled the pad and then added enough concrete to cover several inches of each post.  I screwed up and did not square the frame perfectly to the house, but I am still able to get the tub entirely on the pad, while square to the house. I mixed the concrete in a wheelbarrow, and that was tougher than digging the holes. I used fourteen 80 pound bags for the nine holes. I filled the excavation and post holes with pea gravel to add extra support for the beams and frame, using about three tons of gravel. 

I spent about $500 on the pad, which is still better than the $1400 quoted for concrete. Unfortunately the pictures I took of the frame were accidentally deleted.

My wife and I soaked in it last night for the first time. In a word - awesome! I'm happy with the decision and the results.

Hot Tub Forum

My new hot tub - Sundance Optima
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:00:07 am »

Spoiledrotten

Re: My new hot tub - Sundance Optima
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:10:24 am »
Congrats! Now post up some pics of the completed project even though the build pics were deleted. We'd like to see it.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

mas

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:18:34 pm »
Here are some pics that show how the pad is constructed, and show the tub in place with the new deck.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:26:41 pm by mas »

bimmerdog

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:29:19 pm »
Congrats on the new tub.  I have the same tub for the last 7 months and still every time I climb into it I have a big smile on my face. 

richierich

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:22 pm »
Optima club! Congrats on the new tub. Very nice set up. I've had my Optima for 3 months and enjoy it daily. Sometimes twice a day.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:57:05 am »
Beautiful! Now, how do you like it recessed now. Is it a little tougher getting in and out? Just wondering.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:21 am »
Congrats...Happy Soaking, I will say seeing access to the equipment compartment makes me thankful I'm not a service tech any longer, I spent to many years crawling underneath decks  ;D

Sam

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 02:24:51 pm »
Grats!  Sounds like you were diligent in your research and made a good choice.  That's a great tub!  It looks like you have done some quality work as well. 

mas

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:28:48 pm »
Spoiledrotten, I like the recessed tub. It is  very easy to get out using the cool down seat, and only slightly harder to get in.  I love that  it is super easy to get to from the sliding door. Just five feet away!

TwinCitiesHotSpring, my original plan was to have it rotated  ninety degrees so the cover flipped towards the house.  When the tub was delivered, the service guys looked at it and said "Hell no!".  For the next choice, they threatened me with $1000 cost per service call to move the tub. After I agreed on a removable trap door on the deck, the service guys were ok with it. The trap door is in place but the deck boards will be cut after final inspection by the city.

Richierich and bimmerdog, I've been in the tub at least twice per day, but I try not to smile too much when the wife comes home from work (I am retired).

mas

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 05:32:43 am »
Sam, I'd like to take credit, but I hired  a landscaping company  for the deck and patio.

My learning experience is to make sure any work to be done is covered by the work agreement. After agreement on price and signing the agreement, I had two additional things I wanted to be done and got quotes that were about twice what I expected.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:25:04 pm by mas »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 05:32:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42