What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I'd like to alter the ozonator to be easier to....  (Read 4343 times)

Spoiledrotten

I'd like to alter the ozonator to be easier to....
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:50:45 pm »
maintain. Right now, I have one set of the steps on the same side as the equipment access door. What I'm thinking and I'm sure that if I've thought about it in the short time I've had a hot tub then it's probably been talked about. My thing is that after searching, I don't see anything addressing this, so I'm wanting some input.

I'm thinking about putting a "T" or "Y" connector in the same line that you'd normally remove to dip into the container of vinegar to clean the ozonator. After the T or Y is cut into the main line to the ozonator, I would run that line out the same access hold that the electrical supply is running up through. When it's outside the compartment, I'd put a shut off valve on it with a short piece of additional tubing on it for dipping into the solution. When I get ready to service/clean the ozonator, simply put the end into the vinegar, open the valve and allow it to suck the vinegar into the system.

Now, will this work?
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Tub Forum

I'd like to alter the ozonator to be easier to....
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:50:45 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: I'd like to alter the ozonator to be easier to....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:14:46 am »
Sounds good.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:59:12 pm »
Let us know if it works. May not be enough suction.
Retired

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:03:48 am »
I haven't tried it as of yet. I wanted to get several responses from the pros, but with this only being a thought right now, my main concern is that with this set up, it will be still circulating the spa water along with the suction of the vinegar, so that might cause too much dilution of the vinegar. What do you think? Should it be a full concentration of vinegar to do the job?
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:38:53 am »
 What kind of ozonator are you talking about, CD or UV?  Correct me if I am wrong but there should be no water in the ozone line on either except maybe after the check valves before the mazzi.     You would also want to make sure all the vinegar got sucked all the way through and not stuck in the Hartford loop above the waterline.  If that happens then no ozone would make it to the mazzi at all? Suppose you could blow through it till you see air coming out in the spa..

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:46:38 am »
It's the CD I believe. Maybe TwinCitiesHotSpring would know for sure. I was instructed to remove the line from the bottom of the ozonator and put it into a glass of vinegar. That is the line I was thinking about tapping in to.

Can you help with info on this, TwinCitiesHotSpring?

This might not be worth the effort, but I was thinking about the wear and tear on the skirting material, removing and reinstalling the screws each time, taking the access panel off, not to mention the time consumption of the operation each month. There's enough to do just keeping up with the chemical and keeping the tub itself clean.

Thanks for the input so far.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:53:55 am by Spoiledrotten »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:08 am »
It's the CD I believe. Maybe TwinCitiesHotSpring would know for sure. I was instructed to remove the line from the bottom of the ozonator and put it into a glass of vinegar. That is the line I was thinking about tapping in to.

Can you help with info on this, TwinCitiesHotSpring?

This might not be worth the effort, but I was thinking about the wear and tear on the skirting material, removing and reinstalling the screws each time, taking the access panel off, not to mention the time consumption of the operation each month. There's enough to do just keeping up with the chemical and keeping the tub itself clean.

Thanks for the input so far.

Hot Spring uses Corona Discharge ozonators...first thing is to obviously keep your water in balance as best as possible to prevent any buildup or clogging (namely high calcium levels).  On the Corona Discharge style the check valve is the first thing that will clog...twice a year I pull mine out and soak it in a little bit of pH decreaser that has been diluted with warm water (same as vinegar/acid based product)...that's really about all that is needed to be done as far as maintenance is concerned with that style of ozonator until its has "died" and needs to be replaced..typically 4-6 years

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:59 pm »
Thanks TwinCities!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42