What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Depth question.. Marquis 660 only rated at 34" deep  (Read 4953 times)

Tubnewb

Depth question.. Marquis 660 only rated at 34" deep
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:15:09 am »
Hi folks,

I'm leaning towards getting the Marquis 660.
However, on the specs, it lists a depth of only 34".

Is that a concern for me?  I'm 6'2" tall. Is the tub not going to be deep enough for me or does this all depend on the height of the deepest seats?

I'm comparing the Marquis 660 (34" deep) to a Beachcomber 360 which lists a depth of 38". There seems to be quite a bit of difference but I'm not sure if you can just look at the depth on the spec sheet to compare.

I realize that a wet test is the best option to figure this out however the Marquis dealer doesn't want to offer wet tests anymore. He's had bad experiences with wet tests where folks are just interested in soaking in his tubs and not interested in purchasing them.

thx guys.

Hot Tub Forum

Depth question.. Marquis 660 only rated at 34" deep
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:15:09 am »

MarKee

Re: Depth question.. Marquis 660 only rated at 34" deep
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:40:42 am »
34" is the exterior height and has nothing to do with how deep the spa seats are.  The reason Marquis are 34" or 35" and some spas will be 38" is because Marquis does not run any plumbing underneath the footwell.  Most 38" tall spas have plumbing underneath the footwell of the spa.

The 660 is the deepest spa in the Marquis line-up as far being able to fit someone taller.  There is a very deep lounge and a deep therapy seat on the other side of the spa.

Sit in the spa dry and you will get a good idea of where the water will be.  Most people love the lounge in the 660.  Good luck in your search.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:31:28 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm leaning towards getting the Marquis 660.
However, on the specs, it lists a depth of only 34".

Is that a concern for me?  I'm 6'2" tall. Is the tub not going to be deep enough for me or does this all depend on the height of the deepest seats?

I'm comparing the Marquis 660 (34" deep) to a Beachcomber 360 which lists a depth of 38". There seems to be quite a bit of difference but I'm not sure if you can just look at the depth on the spec sheet to compare.

I realize that a wet test is the best option to figure this out however the Marquis dealer doesn't want to offer wet tests anymore. He's had bad experiences with wet tests where folks are just interested in soaking in his tubs and not interested in purchasing them.

thx guys.

It would concern me enough to wet test or at least dry test it. It does depend on the seat depths as you noted but it also depends on how long your torso is since not all 6'2" people are proportioned alike.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:33:32 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tubnewb

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:10 pm »
thanks for the reply folks. I'm slowly getting educated.

I'll certainly go and dry test the 660 on the weekend and get a better feel for the layout and depth of the tub while seated in the various positions.

@MarKee, I was hoping you could help me out with a few questions:
 - any gotchas to look out for with a Marquis tub? 
 - I have a good handle on the power consumption but are there some additional operating costs or parts that commonly fail on Marquis tubs?
 - I heard Marquis hit a few financial hurdles in the past alongside other companies impacted by the recession.  Knock on wood but if the company goes belly up, are parts pretty standard and non-proprietary in case I'm in need of repair down the road in 5 to 10 years?
 - any big advances to going with this 660 tub over a similarly price Hot Shot or Beachcomber tub?

thx again for all your assistance MarKee  :)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:21:43 am »
 Marquis builds a nice spa, most of the components are after market as far as I know, waterway jets for the most part Balboa equipment.  Basically means if Marquis goes under (doubtful) you should still be able to get parts for it..     There are pros and cons to the spa for the features they offer but it is a good spa overall and a great company!      I still suggest a wet test, like mentioned you are the one paying for it and using it, not the salesman! 

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:30:19 am »
I can assure you the company is perfectly stable with sales increasing every year since the recession, so I would not be concerned about that.

The parts are for the most part non-proprietary.  I've never not been able to get a hold of parts for an older Marquis, going back all the way in to the 80s.

The Beachcombers are mostly regional in Canada and they sell in Europe and other countries. We don't see them much in the US besides on the Price Is Right. They are known to be a decent tub. The HotSpot spas are also decent, but they are made in Mexico.

All around the 660 is a really nice spa. Sit in it dry. Sit in the deeper seats and then sit in the highest seat in the spa (cool off seat).  That seat is very comfortable.

No common failures on a Marquis.  The spas overall are very reliable, that's one of the reasons Marquis has a great reputation.  No corners are cut on the construction. There are a lot of little things that go in to making a quality spa. For instance, things like gluing and clamping every jet connection, slice valves for easy service, rubber motor mounts that make the spa operation very quiet, and a diamond-cut shell lip that won't cut you or give you slivers if you touch where the shell meets the exterior.  I could go on and on.   Service techs usually highly recommend the line.

Tubnewb

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 09:55:10 pm »
Thanks again for all the advice MarKee. I really appreciate it. Time to dry test tomorrow and then work on the dealer in terms of pricing.

MarKee

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:57:19 am »
No problem. Let us know how it goes.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:57:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42