What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring materials  (Read 4974 times)

msbug

Wiring materials
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:36:50 pm »
We pulled the trigger yesterday and bought the Jacuzzi 365!!  Should be delivered within the next 2 weeks!   8)  They should call in the next day or so to confirm our delivery date. 

My dad is going to to doing the electric run for us, he's good with all the electric stuff, done wiring for his house and business, so we have faith he won't get us electrocuted when we jump in for that first dip.  We want to make sure we get as many of the materials here before he arrives though (he lives a couple hours away and is coming in the night before he's doing the install so if we buy the wrong thing he's going to have to waste time with extra trips to the hardware store.)  We've read the NEC and know we need 6 gauge THHN wire for the runs, conduit, and the GCFI cutoff box.  But, dh isn't sure what type of cutoff box to get.  Does it have to be a spa box?  Can someone link to the type of cutoff box we need?  I did a google search and found a couple topics on other forums that said the same type of boxes used for air conditioners can be used.  Is that true?  Google searches for GCFI cutoff box brings up way too many results for me to figure out what exactly I need!  And I need it fast as Dad's going to be here Friday! 

Thanks for all the help, you guys are an endless source of wisdom.  :)  I'm learning lots reading through all the old threads.  Can't wait to get my tub and bug you with more questions. 

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring materials
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:36:50 pm »

Spoiledrotten

Re: Wiring materials
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:23:54 am »
You spa might come with a GFCI box. My Hot Spring spa was packed with its own. Call your dealer and ask about that.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:38:06 am »
 Jacuzzi doesn't send one with the spa some dealers do offer them though, we use Midwest brand 50 or 60 amp.  he will need to run 4 wires from the main to the gfci from the gfci to the spa is only 3 wires no neutral.     You should be able to find one at lowes/H,depot. 

HS sends one because they almost have to with the system they run.

msbug

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:30:12 pm »
Thanks!  Husband's heading to Home Depot after work to find one.  At least now he knows what he should be looking for.   ;)

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:20 pm »
Don't forget the pictures, msbug!   :D
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

msbug

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 10:00:15 pm »
Don't forget the pictures, msbug!   :D

If I can figure out how to post them I will!  I'm going to be needing opinions on the best options for privacy once it's in.  I've got a neighbor next door who gives me the creeps so I'd like to figure out a way to block the view from that side of the yard without having to put up a huge dang fence. 

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:57:22 am »
One thing you can do is put the cover lift on that side. That alone will give you a "wall of privacy" on that side. Another, is to put something up like we did; a mosquito net gazebo around, then hang an opaque shower curtain on the side/corner you need a little extra privacy. Maybe you can see what I'm talking about here. You can see out cover on the side closest to our neighbor and on the far left corner, you'll see a shower curtain on that corner where it block view from their driveway. Then, as you can see in the image below, we also have some well placed fake trees in the front to block view from the other street. We live on a corner lot, so privacy in the "back" yard is a chore at times.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:59:29 am by Spoiledrotten »

msbug

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:56:41 am »
We're already planning to put the cover lifter on that side, unfortunately, their lot sits higher and at a different angle than ours, which makes their living room and kitchen windows and deck look down on our yard slightly.  And unfortunately a gazebo like yours would blow away in a minute in our backyard!  We back up onto a conservation area, so there's only 4 houses in a row, they all open space with nothing to block the wind and it's like a wind tunnel.  We can't even have a picnic table on the patio or it flies away in a storm.  My neighbors (the creepy one!) had a gazebo like that on their deck and the day after they put it up we had a storm that tossed it off the deck and rolled it half a block away.  The wind is insane!  Last year it tossed another neighbor's huge trampoline over their fence and into the field.  Trashed the trampoline but left the fence undamaged.  We're already figuring out ways to secure the hot tub cover down so it doesn't get damaged. 

So whatever privacy method we use has to be cemented into the ground somehow so it doesn't wind up in Oz!  I'm thinking of putting up a fence just on that side of the patio but wondering if it will look weird.  We don't want to block the view out the back of the house to the conservation area or over the tub because we're out in the country and have great star gazing.  It's really just one side of the tub that needs something on it. 

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:55:00 am »
More ideas... anything close to you will allow you to see out but won't be easy for others to see in from a distance, such as:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/garden-structures/how-to-build-a-patio-privacy-screen/view-all

or

a short version of this:
http://www.prowellwoodworks.com/fences/21_fence.htm

msbug

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 12:48:58 pm »
Now that first option is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!  Thanks! 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 12:48:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42