What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring question  (Read 3126 times)

Danny77

Wiring question
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:50 pm »
I was at my friends helping him wire up a hot tub he recently acquired.  I pulled a bonehead move and accidently switched the neutral and one hot leg coming off the GFI breaker.  I turned the power on (nothing happened except a slight click noise), I tripped the GFI to see if it worked, which it did, then I turned it back on and checked voltage at the hot tub panel.  Thats when I noticed I was only getting 120 between each phase, so I shut off the power and found my problem of crossed wires.  I set them right, turned the power back on and checked voltage, which was now right, however nothing else seemed to be working.  BUT, this is an old hot tub, very beat up (lights broken, side missing panels), plus there was no water in it yet.  I'm no hot tub expert and have no idea if it's in working order, but if it isn't, I want to know if crossing the wires would have caused any problems?  Like I said, nothing happened - no bangs, flashes, or even the smell of electronics frying. 

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring question
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:50 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Wiring question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:24:40 pm »
 I think you might be alright!     Get water in it then check the slow blow fuse on the board if there is one?   

Danny77

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:14:16 pm »
My friend's out of town right now, but had already checked the fuse on the board and it was fine.  Guess I'll wait until he gets home, thanks!

Danny77

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:22:47 pm »
So he got home, filled it with water and turned on the breaker, but he said nothing happened.  It's been sitting for a few years but he thought the last time it was used it was working.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »
 Without getting a volt meter on it and start checking stuff it's hard to say.   At this point it's either hooked up wrong, bad fuse still or bad board, really not much info.   Good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42