What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I made a filter back-washing tool  (Read 2424 times)

Spoiledrotten

I made a filter back-washing tool
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:08:23 pm »
With a few fittings and a short piece of pipe, I made a filter backrinser.

What do you think? I still have to clean the slot a little to create a little cleaner spray but it's pretty strong the way it is.

"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Tub Forum

I made a filter back-washing tool
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:08:23 pm »

goneaway

Re: I made a filter back-washing tool
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:10:02 am »
Nice work

kurt6137

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:25:51 pm »
It Looks good, my question how does it work ?  Is there enough pressure to force the sediments out of the filter, if it works, I would like to make one.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:02:04 am »
It "floats" the sediment out. It doesn't "blast" it out. With the density of the Tri-x filters, you'd most likely damage the filter material if you put something in there that would actually blast it out like going through a screen door. I'd hate to turn a really high pressure spray on my $350.00 worth of filters. It will sting when  you put your hand in the stream (if that gives you an idea of the amount of pressure. It will definitely clean your filters better than using a garden hose at an angle from one end of the filter.

I would recommend constructing yours somewhat the way I did.
I got a 10' piece of 1" PVC and the fittings you see in the picture (about $15.00 worth of supplies). Before I glued everything in place, I experimented with the size of the slot that I cut into the end of the pipe. I used a hack saw and a carpenter's handsaw to see the action of the two different widths of cut. If it didn't feel right, I'd cut off the 2" and make another slit, either wider or shorter. When I got the pressure and pattern I liked, then I cut the pipe to the length I wanted, glued everything in place and put it to use after allowing the PVC glue to cure for about 30 minutes.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

kurt6137

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:59:21 pm »
Thanks Spoiled, I hear you on the Tri-X filters, i have those too and definitely dont want to destroy them, they are expensive. This looks like a very good idea, when i get some free time, I shall build and let you know, how i make out.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:59:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42