What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Filter Door  (Read 5818 times)

Cayman

Sundance Filter Door
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:21 pm »
I have a Sundance Cayman 2006 model.  I'm new to spa care and one feature I'm not sure is working correctly is the floating door in front of the filter which houses the sanitizing tablets.  The door moves freely but will stay in the position its left in.  Does it matter what level the door sets at so long as the tablets are in the water?  Other than raising it all the way and keeping water from rushing in during high jet speed I'm unsure what the exact purpose is?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Filter Door
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:21 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Sundance Filter Door
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:18:09 am »
Its primary purpose is to trap debris and keep it in the filter compartment for easy removal. If you have ever tried to chase a small leaf around the tub to get it out you will understand.  We soak a lot after dark and in the fall a couple of leaves may hit the water we don't see. The next day I reach in the filter compartment and pull them out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

mjb

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:44:47 am »
The weir skimmer door should float freely with the water level.
When the jet pump is on the door should drop just below the
water level.
Please make sure if you are using "sanitizing tablets" that they
are bromine and not chlorine tablets.

Cayman

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:23:06 pm »
Thanks for the insight.  The foam in my door must be bad as it does not raise on its own but does move freely.   I am indeed using bromine tablets and not chlorine.  I did read on here that they are a definite don't use.

clover

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:10:00 pm »
IF you filter door does not ride up and down freely, as it should, ask your dealer for "clips" or "bearings" to clip on to the edges of the floating door.  This reduces the friction and enables the gate to float more freely.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

mjb

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:51:48 pm »
You can remove the old saturated foam and
replace it with new Styrofoam-like product.

Cayman

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:13:35 am »
After Clover's advise I went to remove the clips/bearings to ensure I ordered the correct replacements.  Once I started to unscrew the the door housing the door shot right to the water surface.  It appears the housing has warped and when tightly secured to the top of the tub shell it makes the door bind up in the tracks.  I'm going to take a closer look this weekend and see if I can slot the housing screw holes so I can have some play or adjustment to free the door up.  I figure give it a shot before replacing the housing.

Just thought I'd throw the update out there.  That certainly wasnt what I expected to be the problem.

clover

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 03:04:51 pm »
Your filter gate, when viewed from above, should have what we will call a "smile", a natural seperation of the parts that should be an equal seperation from one end to the other.

Becareful in making adjustment as the screws go into the shell material.  If required, it may be better to "modify" the screw hole in the plastic piece, than drilling new holes in the shell.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Cayman

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »
Thank You

I will investigate how and where exactly the housing is biding the door.  I was not clear and only intend modify or slot the holes in the housing.  I will spend the $ for a new one before even considering drilling holes in the shell.  Knowing my luck that would end in some sort of catastrophe.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42