What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub shopping, what do I buy?  (Read 9178 times)

BorisM

Hot tub shopping, what do I buy?
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:46:13 pm »
Hello everyone.

My wife and I have been driving each other crazy during the last 2-3 weeks searching for an outdoor hot tub. We are looking for a 6 person tub, preferably without a lounger.

What we came across was confusing that I am not sure I can even summarize: hottubs are sold at Wal-Mart, Costco, Homedepot, internet and local dealers. Internet tubs seem to be the cheapest with the most features, but seem to be all manufactured in China. Since we are talking about 5-10k purchase, I would prefer American made. 

Wal-mart, Costco, Homedepot, Lowes, Bjs sell American tubs around 4-6k but they all seem to have very short warranty, especially on labor (around 6-9 month.)

Local dealers (when I say local, I mean in 100 miles radius) sell Hotspring, Clearwater, Jacuzzi, South Seas spas, Sundance and Cal-Spas. There maybe some others, but it all blurry by now.

To make the long post shorter, the spas we like cost as follows :
Hotspring – $12k, Clearwater $11k from dealer and $9.5k direct, Jacuzzi $10-11k, South Seas - $6k,  Sundance around 9k, and Cal Spas around $7k.

My wife likes Clearwater and Hotspring. I like the least expensive South Seas. To me it has the most features, an ok warranty and if it dies in 5 years, I can get another one and spend as much in 10 years as the cost of Hotspring.

Any reason why I do not want to get a South Seas spa?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:49:16 pm by BorisM »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub shopping, what do I buy?
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:46:13 pm »

kporter

Re: Hot tub shopping, what do I buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »
I would not buy under that logic.  6k today yes but how much total by the 5th year? How much extra will it cost you to operate compared to a spa like Hotsprings? 
6k + 6k does not = a Hotsprings Spa.

Of course if you wet test a South Seas and enjoy it more then anything else then I think the conversation is over.

BorisM

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 04:13:55 pm »
I would not buy under that logic.  6k today yes but how much total by the 5th year? How much extra will it cost you to operate compared to a spa like Hotsprings? 

Of course if you wet test a South Seas and enjoy it more then anything else then I think the conversation is over.

Would Hotspring last 10 years without expenses? Would South Seas break after 3 year warranty on mechanical is over?

What do you mean a wet test? We got inside dry tubs and stuck or hands into wet tubs to fill the jets.

In my opinion Hotspring and Clearwater jets might be better than South Seas jets, but are they $6,000 better? I do not know.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:45:37 pm »
The difference between sitting is a dry tub, and one full of water in which you're buoyant, is like night and day.

I've seen people that HATE a tub, when sat in dry, think it's the best thing in the world when full of water. And the other way around as well (wonderful dry, filled with water terrible).

Wet Test = Put on your suit and test soak the spa.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 06:47:40 pm »

Would Hotspring last 10 years without expenses? Would South Seas break after 3 year warranty on mechanical is over?

What do you mean a wet test? We got inside dry tubs and stuck or hands into wet tubs to fill the jets.

In my opinion Hotspring and Clearwater jets might be better than South Seas jets, but are they $6,000 better? I do not know.

No they are not $6,000. But if they are 1000 better and the warranty is 1000 better and it lasts twice as long and uses 1/2 as much energy and breaks down half as much then is it 6000 better?

It sounds like your on the right track. Don't panic and take your time. Big box store tubs are cheaper for a reason and it's not because they have lower overhead and expenses it's because the tubs are not as high quality. Not that that may not be fine for you. China tubs are junk but that may be right for you also if you want to upgrade in 5-7 years. Or maybe 3-5 years who knows. The top manufacturers are expensive but there is many reasons for this and in the hot tub world 99.9% of the time you get what you pay for as long as you can negotiate a fair deal with a dealer. Prices vary from market area to market area but there is always some wiggle room in pricing if your serious with a dealer on a brand you have thoroughly investigated including a wet test if at all possible.

FYI I have disposed of 4 year old china tubs and 6 year old big box store tubs and 26 year old high end top manufacturer tubs. But I have also disposed of 12 year old high end tubs and 10 year old low end tubs. So the owners care of the product has an influence on this and even some luck.

Find the tub that's right for you first. Then if you can't afford it make some compromises to fit your budget. Make the buying process fun and not a chore. You have to live with it for at least 4-5 years.
Retired

BorisM

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 06:37:19 pm »
What manufacturers would be considered high end top?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 08:46:26 pm »
Dimension one, caldera, hot springs, jacuzzi on the high end side. Some good middle of the road tubs would be nordic, emerald and Viking. Higher end tubs would range from 8k and up. Middle of the rad frm 3k to 6k or so

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:38:59 am »
I would add Marquis, Beachcomber, and Arctic along with those mentioned. There's others.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 11:33:33 am »
Caldera, D1, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance would be my short list. As you can see there is no consensus so shop around, ask questions and wet test.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

BorisM

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:11:27 am »
Would Artesian Spas be considered a middle of the road spa or junk?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:50:45 pm »
A bit better than middle of the road in my opinion but not high end.
Retired

hottub12

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 01:43:20 am »
Dynasty Spas is a world-renowned brand, designing luxurious hot tubs and whirlpool baths that melt away stress and fatigue.

Moderator note:  LINK REMOVED

Welcome to the forum!  Please note we don't allow advertising in the form of a direct link to a commercial site.

As a 10 year Dynasty owner (Former) I welcome your participation.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:16:26 am by wmccall »

BorisM

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:35:11 am »
Thank you.

Sam

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 04:20:25 pm »
I feel like a broken record, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least take a look at Bullfrog.  The new designs are truly awesome.  You have to see them in person to really appreciate the elegance in their design.  There are some cool new videos on their website demonstrating what type of massage each jetpak offers.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:38 pm »
I feel like a broken record, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least take a look at Bullfrog.  The new designs are truly awesome.  You have to see them in person to really appreciate the elegance in their design.  There are some cool new videos on their website demonstrating what type of massage each jetpak offers.

In that case IMO he's be doing himself a disservice to not consider Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis, Sundance... There are a few good brands out there, hopefully he'll have a few that are local to him..

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42