What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beachcomber 578 SPA troubleshooting after short circuit  (Read 6769 times)

ako67

Beachcomber 578 SPA troubleshooting after short circuit
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:35 pm »
Hi everybody!

Was out of town for three days. When came back home found my hot tub dead.

General info: Beachcomber Hot Tub Model 578 with hush pump, Manufacture date 04/2005.

What was discovered: Hush pump plug was pushed out from receptacle by short circuit which shows both on the plug and the receptacle. Two big 30 A fuses burnt, SPA breaker tripped. Reason unknown. Low water level (insufficient water flow) suspected. When inspected skimmer after the incident, the floating cylinder stuck high, water level was lower than the edges of the cylinder, but one third of the skimmer was still filled with water.     

What was done so far: Fuses replaced, circuit of both pumps checked for continuity - OK. Heater element checked for continuity - OK. Flow switch checked for continuity (switch taken out, contacts closed, circuit checked with multimeter) - OK.

What happens when breaker flipped ON:  a couple of clicks is heard in the Management System, about 15-20 sec another (very low) click, and nothing happens thereafter - hush pump does not start. On the control panel "FL" and temperature reading alternate. SPA light works. Pump starts working when MASSAGE button pressed. But there is no flow through the filter. Hush pump works when connected directly to 220 V.       

You can see some pictures here: http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/akozhin67/library/?sort=3&page=1

What did I wrong when troubleshooting? What else can I check myself before someone comes to check my SPA and charge me 90 bucks per hour?  Thank you all in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

Beachcomber 578 SPA troubleshooting after short circuit
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:35 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Beachcomber 578 SPA troubleshooting after short circuit
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:04:22 pm »
Have you checked the volts going to the circ pump (hush pump) if there is,  it's a bad pump possibly?      I have never seen a J&J plug get blown out like that?   I have seen spa's dang near empty and it's still running pump anyway, almost like it took a power surge.. 

ako67

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:10:26 pm »
Have you checked the volts going to the circ pump (hush pump) if there is,  it's a bad pump possibly?      I have never seen a J&J plug get blown out like that?   I have seen spa's dang near empty and it's still running pump anyway, almost like it took a power surge..

Thanks for quick reply Jacuzzi Jim
How can I check the volts to circ pump?  BTW the hush pump is working when connected to 220V directly.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:43:22 am by ako67 »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:26:34 am »
 If it works when you hook it "direct" to 220 then the pump is fine.   If you don't have 220v where you plug it in then something else is going on.      Basically you need to find where the power is stopping, possibly a bad board at this point, hopefully someone will check in as well..

ako67

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 06:56:04 am »
Thank you Jacuzzi Jim,

You are right, 220v stops somwhere before the terminals to which hush pump receptacle is connected. Have no idea of what to be checked next.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 06:56:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42