What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: keep it heated?  (Read 4136 times)

ezzo

keep it heated?
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:53 pm »
Hi guys, would it be more cost effective for me to keep my tub heated constantly on 'eco' at about 32 degrees. I use it 4-5 times per week. thanks  :-\

Hot Tub Forum

keep it heated?
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:53 pm »

clover

Re: keep it heated?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 04:11:50 pm »
Probably not, depending on the "logic" of the spa you are talking about, things change when you use economy logic that involve heater operations, circ pump operations, ozone operations, to indicate a few changes.  The same is true when you lower the "requested temp" 2° or more below the actual temperature of the water.  Doing so can automatically disable some of the functions, like ozone and or circ pumps.  Do you have an owner’s manual?

32° I will assume is Celsius.  Using it 4-5 times a week, you would be better to set it for your comfort zone and leave it there to maintain the temperature.  Using "Econ" is an oxy moron, what you save when it does not come on, you pay for the longer time that it is on during the "Econ" cycle.  Temperature you lose is temperature you buy back.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

ezzo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:37:26 pm »
Hi Clover, thanks for the reply. the problem is that i lost my manual and I am unsure of what standard, eco and sleep all do. When its set on eco or sleep then the filter automatically come on for 2 hours between 8-10pm and 8-10am

I want to keep the water at about 32 degrees all of the time as thats the temperature I like to get in at. I thought that 'eco' kept it at that temperature all the time by checking it every now and then and heating it back up if need be. If its kept on standard then it will remain heated but I feel that by not setting it on 'eco' or 'sleep' then im probably doing something wrong

Im sorry to sound like a newbie but without a manual, im stuffed!  :-(

Although all hot tubs are different, im sure that they all share common functions regarding heating / filter etc and so I hope you can help with this one. I dont want a £5040400505 electric bill :-0

cheers
terry

goneaway

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:39:56 am »
I turned mine off completely last night, as we won't be using i now until Friday evening.
I have my float with slow release chlorine tablets in there.
Then on Friday morning, i'll switch it back on.

However, we have solar PV panels on the house, so reheating it, shouldn't cost me much.

Hopefully.

Sam

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:29:33 pm »
I turned mine off completely last night, as we won't be using i now until Friday evening.
I have my float with slow release chlorine tablets in there.
Then on Friday morning, i'll switch it back on.

However, we have solar PV panels on the house, so reheating it, shouldn't cost me much.

Hopefully.

Many hot tub warranties are voided by using chlorine tablets.  I would advise against this.  Trichlor, which is what most chlorine tablets are, is very acidic.  It is also designed to slowly dissolve at pool temperatures.  In a hot tub, it will dissolve faster and create a pocket of concentrated chlorine that is very acidic and can damage your hot tub.  There may be other reasons as to why it voids warranties, but this is my understanding of the negatives.  There are others here who have more chemical knowledge than me that may chime in.

As to the OP's question, if you are using it 4-5 times per week you should leave it in standard mode.   It should actually be more efficient than economy with this much use, and it will always be ready for you to use.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:17:20 pm »
Sam, would that be true with bromine tablets in a floating dispenser as well? I have bromine tablets in a "frog" floater that stays suspended in the filter compartment. When the crystals desolved, I replaced them with the bromine tablets.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Sam

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »
Sam, would that be true with bromine tablets in a floating dispenser as well? I have bromine tablets in a "frog" floater that stays suspended in the filter compartment. When the crystals desolved, I replaced them with the bromine tablets.

Bromine is perfectly fine in a floating dispenser.  I wouldn't put straight tablets in the filter with no floater though.  Whatever surface the tablets are sitting on will become brittle or damaged.

goneaway

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 03:17:06 am »

Many hot tub warranties are voided by using chlorine tablets.  I would advise against this. 

Mine is well out of warranty i'm afraid.
I'm the second owner, and she's about 5 years old.
If they are acidic, could this explain why i'm constantly having to increase my PH levels, which i didn't have to do on my previous soft tub (prior to using tabs)

Sam

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 11:46:57 am »

Many hot tub warranties are voided by using chlorine tablets.  I would advise against this. 

Mine is well out of warranty i'm afraid.
I'm the second owner, and she's about 5 years old.
If they are acidic, could this explain why i'm constantly having to increase my PH levels, which i didn't have to do on my previous soft tub (prior to using tabs)

It is certainly a contributing factor

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 11:46:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42