What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A bit off topic  (Read 3027 times)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
A bit off topic
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:33:51 pm »
  I took 2 weeks off to replace my roof, all I have to say is roofing pretty much sucks!    I worked on crab boats and freighters in Alaska for 6 years and would rather do that instead.   I am only getting about 5 hours a day on it, up by 6:30 off by 11 temp coming off the roofing laid was 115 that's with a average temp of 77 today   Just a wee bit toasty for me  ;D couldn't imagine roofing on the east coast! 

That is all, now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Hot Tub Forum

A bit off topic
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:33:51 pm »

brillskill

Re: A bit off topic
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:48:38 pm »
You are replacing your roof by yourself??..I had mine replaced (it was double layered) had to have both layers removed ..it took them less than a day and it wasn't ridiculously expensive..oh and it was 94 degrees that day

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:14:14 pm »
 Yes I am doing it myself, I had 4 different estimates all in the 10 to 12,000 range .   I am at 4,000 or so in materials..   Oh and those guys prolly 4 or 5 of them are in their 20s,  I am 51 so it might take me awhile longer  :)     My buddy in the Seattle area's roof was 35,000   :o   Some of the material cost gets thanks to all the tornado's that happened.   A bit of price gouging for material..

brillskill

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 10:07:56 pm »
Mine was $8500..like 12 guys did it in a half a day

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 12:55:40 am »
   I really didn't want to throw 10 grand at my roof.     I also saved 4 grand on 150 ft of chain link fence that we put around our pool.  Wife and I set the poles last week, then did the fencing on Sunday, came out pretty good, she runs a licensed from our home, so it's the law  ::)         I really don't mind projects, but the roof not so much, specially when it's hot.. 

vangoghsear

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:15:56 am »
I did my own roof a few years back.  It was hard, hot, backbreaking work.  I do not want to have to do that again.  I did save a bunch of money, but man what a job.  Took me a couple weeks working nights and weekends and a friend helped a little bit carrying tile bundles to the roof for me (he is a weight lifter, me not so much).

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 08:23:01 am »
I replaced a couple of roofs when I was a young stud. I paid $12000.00 about 2 years ago to have mine replaced. Not doing that again.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

brillskill

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:23 am »
jim i give you credit...roofs and fences (digging) something i just wont do..i had a pvc fence put in all around my property 3 quarters of a acre the company sent 2 guys..i watched them use post hole diggers in 90 degree heat for 2 full days...best 13 k i ever spent

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 10:30:53 am »
 My wife did the digging of the post holes with a shovel and pick axe.  She did that and still managed to go to Zumba plus run around the trails on our 6 acres, more energy than I have!! 

In all honesty I would rather just pay and have it done  ;)   

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:38:03 am »
I did it 23 years ago. Took me two weeks. Screwed up my elbow in the process. I added a bedroom addition two years ago (did that myself too). Needed to be roofed and figured I'd just redo the rest of it....NO WAY, NOT ME. I paid someone to do it. Took their crew all of one day to do a complete tear -off and reroofing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

brillskill

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 01:00:20 pm »
6 acres!!!..nice...that woulkd cost over 100k a year here in property taxes:)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 06:30:20 pm »
Helped a buddy do 26 square last weekend. He had 4 guys and he finished in a weekend. Tore off 2 layers and re-roofed. It's nice when you have access to the proper equipment. The tear off and pick up is the worst part but with a tear off machine and tear off bars and power buggies to get the garbage to the dumpster it's not so bad. Tear off machine,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8BaUj8OC_4

A crane helps to.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 06:30:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42