What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: At my wits end - the impossible task of chlorine reading :-(  (Read 4184 times)

ezzo

Hello everyone, i must be a donkey but I have spent days trying to get a chlorine reading, i have spent £40 and loads of phone calls but still at square 1  :-[

OK, so i have bought an electronic reader ( bestway ) which shows an ideal reading of between 1.2 and 1.8 ( i dont know if this refers to ppm or mg/l as it dosnt say)

To first use the device it needs to be calibrated using testing strips. The testing strips that I have bought have the following colour readings

0.0 mg/l    0.5 mg/l     1.0mg/l     3.0mg/l     5.0mg/l

The 2nd and 3rd readings of 0.5 and 1.0 are labeled on the strip as 'OK'

Now I have been trawling over 30 websites and they generally say that the idea chlorine should be about 3 mg/l or at least 2mg/l

Here the problem: on the testing strips the 3.0mg/l is outside the 'OK' zone and on the tester anything over 1.8 is showing as caution therefore if i add chlorine over 1.8 then the tester dial says it is too much! but the forums all say to add about 3mg/l

I just have no idea how much chlorine to add as theres so much conflicting info out there.

My tub is 1.6 cbm if that helps

Also, there seems to be 2 different measuring types which are mg/l and ppm (are these the same thing)

So if i add the idea dosage of between 2-4 mg/l (ppm) then both the testing strips and the electronic reader say its too much

I have the link below for you to see the tester and strips that I have
http://www.famestreet.com/control.htm

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese help,  and thank you everyone for your help, it really is massively appreciated  :)

Hot Tub Forum

Sam

Re: At my wits end - the impossible task of chlorine reading :-(
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:42:42 pm »
I'm a little confused by the metric system, but I think that you may have test strips designed for swimming pools, which require a lower ppm of chlorine than a hot tub due to the temperature and bather load differences.  Just a guess.

goneaway

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 03:31:16 am »
Hi Ezzo.

I guess your tub will be a similar capacity to mine.
About 350 gallons.
I find that 1.5 tablespoons of chlorine is enough to take it in to the OK zone.

You need to be aware though, that the chlorine will dissipate, and more than likely require the same dosage tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that etc etc etc.

Even though tomorrow it may smell like there's chlorine, the wiff your'e picking up is chloramines, and not free chlorine. A weekly non chlorine shock is supposed to rid the water of chloramines.

I was in exactly the same boat about 6 weeks ago, so I know how it feels.

This is what i'd do.
Take a reading using strips, these are generally pretty fool proof. Once your'e happy that the strips are giving you an OK reading, start toying with the gadget.

One other thing to note also, apparently the chlorine dissipates on bather use, if you have 4 people in the tub for 2 hours, there's a high likelihood that the chlorine has been spent.

I don't have a PHD in science, but after hot tubbin for 8 weeks, i'm getting there.

goneaway

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 03:37:36 am »
Incidentally, what make of strips are you using

ezzo

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:48:42 am »
Hello Keats, thanks for getting back to me, its good to have a real person to help instead of a chinese manual lol. Yes my tub is 1.6 cbm (350 gallons) just like yours. I think you may be right about the 'OK' zone being lower as it could relate to a swimming pool.

What level mg/l ppm do you keep your tub at? I can aim for the same if it works for yours

The test strips are made by 'Easy Dip' at http://hydropool-club.co.uk/5-in-1-easy-dip-spa-test-strips-5in1-test-strips.html

Thanks m8
Tel
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:50:29 am by ezzo »

goneaway

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:51:41 am »
Chlorine is a sanitiser, any is better than none, but in the same respect, you don't want too much as this will bleach clothing, sting your eyes etc.

Aim to achieve 3-5 ppm, which although technically isn't exactly mg/l, your'e only talking a minute difference, so is as near as dammit.
If you achieved 4ppm you'd still be within the safe zone.
http://www.unitconversion.org/concentration-solution/milligrams-per-liter-to-parts-per-million-ppm-conversion.html

If i'm being honest, i don't bother with the science stuff, (ppm or mg/l.)
I go with the colour of the strips, If the strips tell me it's OK, I get in.
If they tell me to add something, I add something.

Trying to calculate how many ounces to add to how much water, and then how much chlorine is already in there left over from last night, you need a science degree.

This is what I'd do if i were you.
For chlorine, aim for 4ppm (mg/l) on your strips.

This evening, take a reading, if it's low add 1 teaspoon of chlorine dissolved in warm water.
With the Jets on, wait a few minutes, take a strip reading.
If it's low add 1 teaspoon of chlorine dissolved in warm water.
Keep doing this until you have 4ppm on the strips.
You'll use about 4 or 5 strips until you reach 4ppm.

Then stick with my 1.5 tablespoons per day method, and you'll not be far out.

If you've not added any PH+, you'll probably need 3-4 tablespoons.
I generally find that PH will hardly alter, maybe a tiny tiny PH top up may be required every 2 weeks.
When adding PH+, my water tends to go cloudy, I don't know why, but the cloud dissipates after about 36 hours.
Mine was like milk on Monday, and crystal clear last night.

2 tablespoons of OXY shock weekly, and a squirt of water clarifier.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:54:14 am by keat63 »

goneaway

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:00 am »
Ezzo.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that for pools, you'd aim for 1-3ppm (mg/l)
and for spa's / hot tubs, due to increased temperatures, and bather to water ratio, you'd aim for 3-5ppm (mg/l).

I think the Bestway tester you have is for pools as it's showing the ideal Chlorine level to be between 1.3 and 1.8 ppm.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:35:51 am by keat63 »

ezzo

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:19:31 pm »
Hi Keats, your 'neck sticking out' method was spot on :-) The test strips and the electronic tester showed idea readings for pools and not spas, I bought a different make of tester strips and it showed on the scale the 'OK' rating for spas which was 3-5ppm so thanks for that.

Do you know the best way to get the water crystal clear after a usage. I had 3 kids in there today and it looks a bit murky. I have people coming down tomorrow but didn't want to shock it every time its used. Any ideas? thanks

goneaway

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 03:13:45 am »
I've used aqua sparkle, and leave the pumps running to filter it.
But sometimes after a really heavy load, i might just change the water to be honest.
I'm not on a water meter.

I've only had the 350 gallon fixed tub a week, so still learning with this one, so all my basis is on my previous 250 gallon inflatable.

Also don't be afraid to be an obsessive filter cleaner. I will take mine out at least twice per week and rinse with fresh water and a paint brush.
It's surprising how much muck comes out.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:55:22 am by keat63 »

Sam

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 10:27:37 am »
Ezzo.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that for pools, you'd aim for 1-3ppm (mg/l)
and for spa's / hot tubs, due to increased temperatures, and bather to water ratio, you'd aim for 3-5ppm (mg/l).

I think the Bestway tester you have is for pools as it's showing the ideal Chlorine level to be between 1.3 and 1.8 ppm.

This is what I think

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 10:27:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42