What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Inflatable Soft Tub  (Read 2152 times)

goneaway

Inflatable Soft Tub
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:10:04 am »
Guys. (long story)

I replaced a blower motor in an inflatable spa about 6 weeks ago. I couldn't find the exact model as it's a cheap chinese thing, but i did find a blower motor very similar. Incidentally its a 125mm vacuum cleaner motor.

Yesterday I'd had the top off the pump housing to resolve a small air leak on the blower, which was causing a whislte.
Every thing reassembled OK, and was put back in to service.

A very short run on the blower to test functionality, with then only the water pump and heater running. However, about 2 hours later smoke started billowing out of the pump housing.

I've stripped it this morning to find the 2.0 uf starting capacitor burnt out. I initially wondered if i'd nicked something on reassembly causing a short, but cannot see anything.

I'm confused why the cap would burn out when the blower motor wasn't even running, and why after a few hours post reassembly.
The blower starts and appears to run fine with the cap removed.
I'm considering not replacing the cap at this point.

Any thoughts

Hot Tub Forum

Inflatable Soft Tub
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:10:04 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Inflatable Soft Tub
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:09:56 am »
You say smoke was coming out of the pump, yet the cap in the the blower burned out. Are you using the word blower and pump interchangeably to describe the same piece of equipment? Generally "pump" refers to the thing that moves water through the system, and "blower" is the thing that moves air. (why would one remove the top of the pump (water) to repair a blower (air))
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

goneaway

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:48 am »
Just my bad terminology.
When i referred to pump, i meant the combined pump, blower, heater unit.
I'm none the wiser as to why the cap blew out. Maybe it was coincidence that i'd had the covers off not only two hours previous.

As a matter of precaution, i rewired the blower all the way from the terminals back to the PCB.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:48 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42