What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ground Rod  (Read 4615 times)

Spoiledrotten

Ground Rod
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:14 am »
Is it necessary to have a dedicated ground rod for the HT? Mine is grounded back to the main panel coming into the house. That panel is at one end of the house and the HT is on the other end. Of course, it is running through a 50 amp breaker and then through the 30/20 amp GFCI box, but it doesn't have a ground rod close to the tub. Your thoughts? Should I add one?
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Tub Forum

Ground Rod
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:14 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Ground Rod
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:26:10 am »
you'd have to call to check your local code, they are not required where I am but codes vary obviously

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:50 am »
No no no no no.

Grounding (earthing) of electrical equipment doesn't provide a low-impedance fault-current path to clear ground faults (translation: "lower" voltages don't travel well, or freely, through the surface of the earth). In fact, according to the NEC, code prohibits the use of the earth (a grounding rod) as the sole return path because it's a poor conductor of current at voltage levels below 600V [250.4(A)(5) and 250.45(B)(4)]. In reality what this could do is potentially electrify the ground around the spa and has the potential of ELECTROCUTING you. If you were to be standing on the ground and touch something that IS properly grounded you could be fatally electrocuted (electricity in the electrified ground travels up through you and out to what your touching, which is properly grounded). There's actually a documented case of this happen at a fish farm in the UK. The little fishies were periodically being electrocuted from an improperly grounded/bonded power line TWO MILES AWAY.

The only place grounding through a grounding rod should be done is at the main electrical panel (that's main panel, not sub panel). The reason a main electrical panel is grounded through a grounding rod is to limit the voltage imposed on the entire electrical system by lightning, unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines, or line surges.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 12:06:23 pm »
Thanks Doc. I didn't think you would need extra, but since my brother stated his electrician said he needed one, I wanted to see if mine was correct. I do not have an additional rod, so I'm going to pass this to him so he can address it with his electrician.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:31:57 pm »
No offense to anyone, but if an electrician suggests or recommends an additional Grounding rod, I would question he's overall abilities and knowledge. There are classes on "Grounding vs Bonding"..they run anywhere from 1 to 3 days (obviously, a long, complicated, in-depth subject).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:27:58 pm »
I appreciate it. I just called my brother (the one that told me his electrician said to put one down) and told him to check with other electricians on the matter. I sent him your post, Dr. Spa. I told him that your post made sense. I wasn't putting anything else on mine and wanted to be sure his family wasn't being put in danger by the additional rod. He said he would get opinions on that from a couple of master electricians in his congregation. I'm giving him my "vintage" spa, and would certainly feel pretty bad if it was installed wrong and caused them injury. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:29:41 pm by Spoiledrotten »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:27:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42