What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First hot tub on new cement pad - silicone base?  (Read 3284 times)

SeenK

First hot tub on new cement pad - silicone base?
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:56:30 am »
Hi everyone.
Just bought a hot spot rhythm and poured a pad for it and placed patio blocks around the pad.

The tub comes Friday and I'm wondering if I should silicone the base to the pad? The base is wood so I figure if I did the front and sides the water would be less likely to sit and soak in wood. I did a slight slope but can't say I did a perfect trowel so a few areas may form water.  I thought leaving the back would let water escape and air in if water/condensation got under.

Am I over thinking and should just leave it be? Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

First hot tub on new cement pad - silicone base?
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:56:30 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: First hot tub on new cement pad - silicone base?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:27:51 am »
Welcome to the forum.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:46:32 am »
Do you mean to put a bead of silicone around the tub when it's put on the pad to keep water from going under the tub?

I may not be understanding but if that's what you mean, you could be hurting yourself as much as you help. If your tub developes a leak, you'd also be "trapping" any water that needs to get out from under it. Just a thought if I'm on the right track with your idea.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

SeenK

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 08:31:22 am »
wmccall - thanks!

Spoiledrotten - yes that's what I mean  :). That's why I was thinking to just do the front and sides to direct water around the tub. Then if it leaks, the back is open to hopefully run out and get air in.

I couldn't find anything on this, so I'm guessing this isn't necessary but thought I would ask

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:12:50 am »
Not trying to beat this idea up, but just so you are sure of the possibilities, here's a "what if". What if the spa isn't sloped slightly to the rear, but to the front? Then the water is going to run toward the front where the caulking is, and sit there. With whatever you chose to do, I wish you many years of good soaking.  Cheers!

"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

SeenK

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:02:58 am »
That actually is a really good point. It's sloped to the back right now but it's very likely in the long term it could settle/move and not be. Thanks for the advice

Sam

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:56:12 pm »
My opinion is that this is unnecessary and I would not advise it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:56:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42