What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping...looking For Swimspa With Steel Frame (Hydropool, D1, Etc)  (Read 3898 times)

Kdot

We are swim spa shopping. The swim spa will be installed partially recessed in a use-specific built addition. I was very close to purchasing site unseen from a factory direct website...excellent pricing, but too far away to see or test and for service. After deciding that we would like a little more local support and service than factory direct could offer and that we wanted to be able to see and feel the quality of the spa, I have resumed my search.
I am interested in a swim spa with steel framing as longevity of life and strength of body and shell with this are very important due to its placement inside. Jets are fine but we are mostly interested in a large open water tank to serve as a splash pool. This will be used mainly for family enjoyment rather than a serious exercise machine. I may also like to have some separation for the "hot tub/therapy spa" end of this unit from the open exercise/swim area for relaxation and the ability to increase the water temp in the smaller body of watering the hot tub end.
I am currently looking at the Hydropool 19' AquaSport. I also like the design of the D1 swim spas (the dual temp), but I have read about some scary quality problems they have been having.
Are there any other manufacturers that utilize steel framing?
Does anyone having any feedback on Hydropool and/or D1?
Thanks,
Kathleen

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Shopping...looking For Swimspa With Steel Frame (Hydropool, D1, Etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:41:31 am »
What makes you think steel framing has a longer life and more strength than a wood frame. Do you know I am on my third metal grill on the same wooden deck. Wood framed hot tubs and swim spas have been outlasting the other parts of the spa for years. Metal framed hot tubs and spas have been.......never mind not around that long. I personally would not make the framing material the deciding factor in my purchase. I would shoot for things like reputation of the manufacturer, (Hydropool and D1 make good products), comfort in the dealer, your butt, and in your wallet.

If you put a metal framed hot tub or spa in a wet area it will likely fail from rust, while wood will fail from rot. And yes treated wood and galvanized steel can both rot. There is no advantage of steel over wood IMO
Retired

Kdot

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:29:16 am »
The reason for the concern is the much higher volume of water (and hence water pressure on the sides) of the swim spa exerting forces on the wood framing.  The swim spa will be indoors and, of course sump pumps and drains will be present, but a failure of the frame due to the water pressure would be a bad thing!  If steel can rust and wood can rot in a wet environment, what is the solution?  The manufacturers of steel framed swim spas typically powder coat the frame to prevent rust issues.  It would just seem that a steel frame will resist bowing of the sides from the pressure of the water more than wood framing.
Does anyone know of any other companies that offer a steel framed swim spa?
Kathleen

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 02:26:03 pm »
I wouldn't be concerened about the frame, TMan is right.  If not properaly shielded from the elements, wood and metal frame are succeptable to damage.  There are also other issues with metal frames, such as condensation that you might think about.  Think of a can of soda that you take out of the refrigerator, it will sweat.  Same thing happens with a hot body of water and a colder outside temperature.  A lot of the structure in the spa is going to be the fiberglass backing that is on the shell.  I have never seen a wood frame fail on a swim spa, I wouldn't be worried, especially if it's going to be inside.  I would take a look at Catalina and Artesian Tidal Fit swim spas.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:22:56 pm »
The reason for the concern is the much higher volume of water (and hence water pressure on the sides) of the swim spa exerting forces on the wood framing.  The swim spa will be indoors and, of course sump pumps and drains will be present, but a failure of the frame due to the water pressure would be a bad thing!  If steel can rust and wood can rot in a wet environment, what is the solution?  The manufacturers of steel framed swim spas typically powder coat the frame to prevent rust issues.  It would just seem that a steel frame will resist bowing of the sides from the pressure of the water more than wood framing.
Does anyone know of any other companies that offer a steel framed swim spa?
Kathleen

Your putting to much credence in steel being stronger than wood. A 1/4" round bar will be stronger than a wood 1/4 dowel rod. However a 2x4 metal stud will not have the side load capacity as a 2x4 wood stud. Think of it as tin foil versus a paper bag. Which will give faster with a load on it. If you use 18-20 gauge steel studs and put them side by side with a 2x4 wood stud the steel is 3 sided and hollow you can flex it with your fingers. You won't flew the wood with your fingers.
All I am saying is don't be deceived by a sales pitch on wood versus steel. It's not like that. If the frame is designed to hold the weight it won't matter what it is constructed of. Wood framing is used on millions of houses world wide. No one has switched to steel because of the failure rate of wood. Matter of fact because of the r-factor it is still the preferred method. The only advantage steel has over wood is in it's fire rating. And this is the only reason it is used commercially more than wood. And I have heard construction guys say that a tin snips and cordless drill keeps the saw cords from being on the floor. And that can be an analogy. It's tin not steel. And powder coating is removed to cut and drill.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:22:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42