What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: More science assistance if possible  (Read 2075 times)

goneaway

More science assistance if possible
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:09:21 am »
We refilled the tub at the weekend, using hot water direct from the house.
We don't have a water meter and we have solar PV so it's not an expensive solution for us.

I've already determined that our water requires 1 spoon of chlorine and 3 of PH increaser.
So I added my chlorine, and put the blowers on.
30 minutes later i added the PH increaser, and it instantly went cloudy.

It checked out ok on the test strips.
30 minutes later, I added the water sparkle, but it stayed cloudy until the next morning when it was then crystal clear.

Did I do something wrong ?

Hot Tub Forum

More science assistance if possible
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:09:21 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: More science assistance if possible
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:22:29 am »
My first thought, with no basis in fact is, why do you fill the tub with hot water?  Do you own one of those tankless hot water systems?  If you have a normal 40 gallon tub, its going to have minimal effect of the temp when your done filling and most hot water tanks have a residue in the bottom of the tank. That is one reason they tell you not to cook with hot water.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

goneaway

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:14:45 am »
Mains tap water here in the UK is about 14 degrees C.
My 1kw soft tub, takes about 36 hours to take it up to a reasonable 38 degrees.

Whereas the water in my domestic hot water system is already about 60 degrees, can be heated up quickly for next to nothing, if I do so during the day (solar PV)
So a mixture of domestic hot and domestic cold, means I can have the tub up and running within 2 hours.

I would prefer to leave the water in and learn how to maintain it, but inclement weather recently dictated that I emptied it and packed it away for a few days.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:18:18 am by keat63 »

dwreefs

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:11:28 pm »
Now you have me wondering how many watts in pv panels does it take to keep you in hot water , is that all that they supply?

goneaway

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:07:32 am »
If it helps, then the PV panels feed my whole house.

I could run the hot water heater and washing machine/tumble dryer all at the same time, but then i'd be using more than i'm generating, so I have to pick and choose which appliances are using the electricity wisely.

My domestic hot water system already holds 80 gallons of piping hot water before I even start.
Even if i exhausted all this, then provided I switch on the electric immersion heater during the day, (while the household solar panels are active) then I can get another 80 gallons of piping hot water maybe within 30-40 minutes, almost for free.

It's then just a matter of allowing the tub to maintain the temperature while its not being used.
During peak running my PV panels provide around 3kw.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:18:23 am by keat63 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:07:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42