What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Decisions Decisions, Purchasing a home was easier  (Read 11298 times)

mike

Decisions Decisions, Purchasing a home was easier
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:19:45 am »
I really like the Hot springs and Dimension one spa's. Nice thing there are two dealers in my area called Pinch a penny. One in Ocala & one in the villages Fl.  If any one could give me any feed back on Pinch a Penny over all that would be nice too.
  I'm very concerned about the D-1 tubs due to fully foamed which makes me worry due to a possible leak, that could be a expensive timely repair after the warranty runs out.  Not sure if the Hot springs models are fully foamed as well?
I see a lot of positive reviews on the Hot Spring spas which makes me feel more comfy however D-1 is still in the running.
 Any suggestions comparing these two brands would be very helpful, They both seem to be high end tubs.
I was also interested in Jacuzzi line however no close dealers in my area & good service is a big issue for me. Closest one in Florida would not deliver a tub to me so there out!
Maax & Bul frog on the back burner @ this time due to price & quality-fit etc. 

I would appreciate your feedback very much.

Thanks , Mike 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:26:05 am by mike »

Hot Tub Forum

Decisions Decisions, Purchasing a home was easier
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:19:45 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Decisions Decisions, Purchasing a home was easier
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:48:35 am »
I really like the Hot springs and Dimension one spa's. Nice thing there are two dealers in my area called Pinch a penny. One in Ocala & one in the villages Fl.  If any one could give me any feed back on Pinch a Penny over all that would be nice too.
  I'm very concerned about the D-1 tubs due to fully foamed which makes me worry due to a possible leak, that could be a expensive timely repair after the warranty runs out.  Not sure if the Hot springs models are fully foamed as well?
I see a lot of positive reviews on the Hot Spring spas which makes me feel more comfy however D-1 is still in the running.
 Any suggestions comparing these two brands would be very helpful, They both seem to be high end tubs.
I was also interested in Jacuzzi line however no close dealers in my area & good service is a big issue for me. Closest one in Florida would not deliver a tub to me so there out!

Thanks , Mike

Both are good brands and both are well built and less prone to leaks. Both are fully foamed which will help keep your energy use down.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »
One thing that was explained to me by the HS dealer regarding the full foam was that when the jets come on a go off, there is a jolt that can loosen them some, creating leaks. When there is full foam, it supports the jets, therefore, reducing the likelihood of a leak. Anyway, I just bought the HS Envoy, which is supposed to be delivered today.  Woohoo!
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Sam

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:36:10 pm »
One thing that was explained to me by the HS dealer regarding the full foam was that when the jets come on a go off, there is a jolt that can loosen them some, creating leaks. When there is full foam, it supports the jets, therefore, reducing the likelihood of a leak. Anyway, I just bought the HS Envoy, which is supposed to be delivered today.  Woohoo!

I don't know if I buy this.  I certainly see quite a few full foam tubs with leaks.  Just last week I was looking on craigslist and saw 6 free tubs.  The ads all said everything works fine, just has a leak.  They are giving working tubs away for free that just have a leak because fixing a leak in a full foam spa is a nightmare. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 03:56:10 pm »

I don't know if I buy this.  I certainly see quite a few full foam tubs with leaks.  Just last week I was looking on craigslist and saw 6 free tubs.  The ads all said everything works fine, just has a leak.  They are giving working tubs away for free that just have a leak because fixing a leak in a full foam spa is a nightmare.

For an experienced tech fixing a leak in a full foam tub is no big deal. Obviously more of a deal than on a non full foam tub but if 98% of your leaks are in the equipment bay where there is no foam I don't think repairing leaks should figure into your buying decision unless it's a crappy tub.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 04:38:17 pm »

I buy it but you need to look for a quality built brand. There are some brands that typically are still performing well at the 5, 10, 15 year mark while other brands tend to see the scrap heap at an early age on average.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mike

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:04:02 am »
[/quote

Thanks for that information, That makes logical sense to me. Hey, Good luck with your new tub:)  Please let me know how you like it? They cost approximately 10k ? 

mike

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:12:23 am »

For an experienced tech fixing a leak in a full foam tub is no big deal. Obviously more of a deal than on a non full foam tub but if 98% of your leaks are in the equipment bay where there is no foam I don't think repairing leaks should figure into your buying decision unless it's a crappy tub.

Yes I agree, I don't think this reflects with D-1 or Hot springs spa's. I also agree with spatech tuo statement these are good tubs & not prone to leaks due to full foam. Do you also agree?  I would appreciate for your thoughts :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:24:24 am by mike »

mike

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:14:44 am »

Thanks for your input, do you know what brands the free hot tubs were?

mike

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:31:13 am »

Thanks , Mike

Both are good brands and both are well built and less prone to leaks. Both are fully foamed which will help keep your energy use down.

Thanks very much for the information given it's appreciated very much :)  it looks like a D-1 or H.S. for sure. At least I have it down to two brands now. Leaning to the D1 Latitude model. Going to a pinch a penny in Orlando for d-1 & another pinch a penny in Ocala for H.S. need to view in person + attempt wet / dry test etc.  You guy's are awesome on this site, God Bless You all !

Sam

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:40 pm »

I currently sell both a full foam line and thermal pane line.  I regularly get customer's come in looking to replace a FF spa that is leaking.  After dealing with a leaking FF, many don't even want to look at the FF spas.  I regularly see people with HS, Jacuzzi, Sundance, etc leaking.  We all know that they are great spas, but I get tired of hearing salesman say that the foam actually helps prevent leaks and that they rarely happen.  It happens quite frequently and it is not necessarily a simple repair.  Some dealers require the leaking spa to be taken to the dealer's shop at cost to the homeowner.  I also sold Hot Spring for a few years.  Leaks definitely occurred in the foam with our customers a few times a year.  The techs working on them didn't seem to think that it was an easy fix.  They usually got very frustrated.

A quick search on craigslist in Denver turns up a couple of brand name spas being given away for free.  They work, just have a leak.  If it's so simple to fix a leak in a FF spa, why would they be giving them away for free?  These spas are obviously a little older, so take that into account as well.  I'm not saying that they aren't great brands that are mostly trouble-free, I just disagree that leaks rarely occur in foam and really aren't that big of a deal.

http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/3860792189.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/3865273614.html

There are quite a few more that are listed as free, working, just leaks.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 02:07:18 pm »

I currently sell both a full foam line and thermal pane line.  I regularly get customer's come in looking to replace a FF spa that is leaking.  After dealing with a leaking FF, many don't even want to look at the FF spas.  I regularly see people with HS, Jacuzzi, Sundance, etc leaking.  We all know that they are great spas, but I get tired of hearing salesman say that the foam actually helps prevent leaks and that they rarely happen.  It happens quite frequently and it is not necessarily a simple repair.  Some dealers require the leaking spa to be taken to the dealer's shop at cost to the homeowner.  I also sold Hot Spring for a few years.  Leaks definitely occurred in the foam with our customers a few times a year.  The techs working on them didn't seem to think that it was an easy fix.  They usually got very frustrated.

A quick search on craigslist in Denver turns up a couple of brand name spas being given away for free.  They work, just have a leak.  If it's so simple to fix a leak in a FF spa, why would they be giving them away for free?  These spas are obviously a little older, so take that into account as well.  I'm not saying that they aren't great brands that are mostly trouble-free, I just disagree that leaks rarely occur in foam and really aren't that big of a deal.

http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/3860792189.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/3865273614.html

There are quite a few more that are listed as free, working, just leaks.

They're just old and/or the owners just don't want them anymore. Denver is a very big hot tub market and there are tons of full foamed spas sold in that market over the years so finding a couple free with leaks is not a shock.

If every free hot tub had a leak then you'd have a definite point but there are so many other free ones in Denver area that don't have leaks, you just cherry picked a couple that did.

Here is a just a sample of the free ones without a leak like you are talking about.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/3859675852.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/3874601382.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/3882108874.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/for/3879292911.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/3847635051.html

...and thats just a few on the first page.

Sam

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 02:27:44 pm »
I wasn't cherry picking.  I searched "hot tub leaks" and those were in the first few results.  I see them on there all of the time.  The ones that you listed are in pretty bad shape and also have things wrong with them, including a couple that say they leak. You don't see many 12 year old name brands for free that work fine and don't leak.   Don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to be argumentative and I sell quite a few FF spas.  I just think that salespeople tend to gloss over the whole FF leak thing as if it almost never happens.  It absolutely happens with some frequency and it can be bad enough that people just replace the tub rather than deal with it. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but I see it quite a bit.  I've sold quite a few TP spas to people who would never consider having another FF after what they went through. 

Just my perspective, please don't think that I am trying to start a fight or anything.  This thread will end up in the "beating a dead horse" section if I keep it up  :)

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 04:21:13 pm »
I wasn't cherry picking.  I searched "hot tub leaks" and those were in the first few results.  I see them on there all of the time.  The ones that you listed are in pretty bad shape and also have things wrong with them, including a couple that say they leak. You don't see many 12 year old name brands for free that work fine and don't leak.   Don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to be argumentative and I sell quite a few FF spas.  I just think that salespeople tend to gloss over the whole FF leak thing as if it almost never happens.  It absolutely happens with some frequency and it can be bad enough that people just replace the tub rather than deal with it. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but I see it quite a bit.  I've sold quite a few TP spas to people who would never consider having another FF after what they went through. 

Just my perspective, please don't think that I am trying to start a fight or anything.  This thread will end up in the "beating a dead horse" section if I keep it up  :)

Most all those I listed were old, often junky looking, free spas on the same page where you picked out those two links and  are looking very weathered yet didn't leak except one that said it was leaking at the heater or pump. My point is that spas are free on that site often and typically because they are a combination of just plain old looking, maybe not operating well and/or often just not wanted any longer and people say "free" because they want someone else to haul it away for them.

My very energy efficient 1999 Grandee is in my back yard looking and running like its about a 5 year old spa. It doesn't leak in part because it uses quality parts, uses a controlled manufacturing process, is properly tested in the factory before leaving and yes, the foam has helped keep the plumbing stable when the pump is cycled on/off over all these years and all its use which has been heavy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:06:14 pm by Hot Spring Ace »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 05:46:14 pm »
 If I lived in Denver I would be all over that free Jacuzzi!!! 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 05:46:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42