What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Putting a hot tub on a deck  (Read 6464 times)

hkc

Putting a hot tub on a deck
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:07:39 pm »
Has anyone put a hot tub on an existing deck? I'm about two weeks away from delivery and just got a quote of about $2000 to reinforce my existing deck. Good idea or waste of money?

Hot Tub Forum

Putting a hot tub on a deck
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:07:39 pm »

kurt6137

Re: Putting a hot tub on a deck
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:51:53 pm »
In my opinion, waste of money, you could lay a concrete pad for that money and I live in NY. If you do go the patio route, make sure you tell the contractor, that the concrete must be level, not a critical must have, but is the best way to do it. They do make cheaper hot tub platforms, which you can fine on the web , some real good,  some not. They don't produce good pressure treated wood anymore and I would be concerned putting that much weight, even if its re-enforced, think long term, that is wood and is subject to all sorts of things, carpenter bees (yes they will drill through pressure treated wood) carpenter ants, termites, etc.. Congrads on the tub, I love mine, especially tonight, was bushed and sore, but after a soak, much better.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:13:07 pm by kurt6137 »

brillskill

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:02:54 am »
2000 is way too much..the deck just needs some extra 2 by 4's ..

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:52 am »
2000 is way too much..the deck just needs some extra 2 by 4's ..

Because you both have seen his deck and knows what he needs.    ::)

brillskill

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:44:14 am »
Because I have mine on a deck and its simple principal..a couple of support beams is all that needed no matter what deck he has...but than again you love to try and make people look inferior

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:35:34 am »
Has anyone put a hot tub on an existing deck? I'm about two weeks away from delivery and just got a quote of about $2000 to reinforce my existing deck. Good idea or waste of money?

What is the current construction of your deck? I recommend 2x8's at 12" centers with a minimum of 2 supporting doubled 2x10 beams and 4-6x6 posts with concrete footings under the tub. The depth of the footings is dependent on your climate/soil.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:53:43 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

aquapeutics

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37:22 am »

It is a good idea to sink a tub to the deck level and if it is at the same level then it will be less prone to injuries.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:42:18 am by aquapeutics »

vangoghsear

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:50:19 am »
A hot tub full of water is a lot of weight.  Over 4000 lbs is not unusual.  100 gallons of water weighs 833 lbs.  5 or 6 hundred gallon hot tub plus the tub plus the people is a lot of weight.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:16:40 am »
When deciding where to put the tub, also take into consideration running the electrical, easy access into the tub , if you are in a colder climate you'll have to shovel the tub out (and walking out to the tub and back) and privacy: Are you concerned about the neighbors? Is the tub going to be under/near someone's bedroom? Don't forget about the cover lifter and placement of the steps.

I've heard some folks say thier deck transmits the vibration of the pumps through to the house, but I must admit I've only heard of this happening once.

Moving a tub can be a pain in the butt, so I'd take some time to really think about where you want the tub. If the deck is the right place for it, then I say do it, and do it right. You'll have the tub for many years.
07 Caldera Geneva

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:03 am »
I had a 20' x 40' reinforced pad poured for my RV and it only costs 2300.00. You're getting ripped at 2000.00 unless you are having one built big enough to land a crop duster on it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:40:12 am by Spoiledrotten »
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:48 am »
Get other bids.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

chumley

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 03:48:48 pm »
I just installed a new tub on my bedroom deck which is about 8 x 12 feet and is about 3 ft off the ground. I reinforced it so that it not has 2 x 6s 1 ft on center with two 4 x 6 beams supporting them.  There are deck building charts that will tell you how to build it so that it will support whatever weight you need.  I did it myself for less than 100$.
I had an electrician run a 220 line to it which was the greater expense but I think it was worth it.  I am paying about 40 cents a day for the tub.  That doesn't mean much either it that power costs are different everywhere and so are ambient temperatures and other conditions.
Not knowing you deck situation or current construction, its impossible to say what you need.  The 2K doesn't tell us much.
Getting a couple of other bids would help you know it 2K is reasonable or not.
HTH

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »
Originally I didn't think reinforcement was necessary.
After too many hours on the web I changed my mind.

So I asked a friend who was a contractor and at first he wasn't sure I needed it either.
He checked around and came back to me with the deck would probably handle the weight, but if anything were to "happen" both the hot tub company and/or insurance company would lay blame on the deck.  Better to reinforce just in case anything "happened" in the future.

It's now over-reinforced. I paid cost on the materials and a discount on the labor and it ended up under $1k.

Might try and snap a pic or two afterwards.

Ours is located right off our den where we spend most of our free time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42