What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Real World recommendations for filter changing  (Read 2305 times)

goneaway

Real World recommendations for filter changing
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:20:20 am »
Guys.

I'm new to all this, so please bear with me.
I have one of those 250 gallon inflatable "toy" tubs. (great fun though)
I've been researching "looking after your hot tub" on various search engines and am coming up with all sorts of conflicting information.
So my first real world question is regarding filter replacement.

Iv'e read on some sites which say replace every 3 or 4 days, which came as a massive shock to me when i found out that these were about £20.00 each, then on other web sites, i've read every 6 months, which i can live with.

At the moment, i'm running it under the cold tap and cleaning gently between the pleats with a paint brush every few days.

Am I being obsessive, not obsessive enough, etc etc etc.
What does everyone esle do.

Hot Tub Forum

Real World recommendations for filter changing
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:20:20 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Real World recommendations for filter changing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 09:45:08 am »
I am not familliar with the soft tubs filtration, but on my conventional  tub, I'll clean the filter cartridge every time I do a water change (about every 3 months).  I soak my catridge overnight  in a 5 gal bucket filled with hot water and filter cleaning solution and then rise very well under running water in the tub  using a hand held shower nozzle, cleaning deep in the folds in the catridge and rinsing away all the solution and any debris.

I keep a spare clean filter catridge on hand so I can easly swap one into the tub while cleaning the other.

I would recomend you keep an eye  on your filter to see how dirty it gets. Depending on bather load, amount of use, and the filter system itself, you may find you need a quick rinse now and then with peroidic deep cleanings every few months and certainly when you change the water. Personaly, I wouldn't want to go more than 4 months between cleanings on my 475 gal Caldera.

A filter catridge will not only pick up debris but also oils and lotions. I almost had to throw out a $75 filter when someone with a spray on tan used the tub! ugh. It was badly stained.   :P

07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:30 pm »
Depending on the size of the filter, you should clean it from once a week, to once a month. It should last a couple of years, at least....

1.    Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacture’s instructions.

2.   Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element. Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between pleats.

3.   Rinse until all dirt and debris is gone.

4.    For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (over night is more effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) once cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

5.   Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.

6.   If the filter has a coating of algae, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypochlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops. WARNING: Failure to remove all oils and cleaning solution before acid soaking will result in a permanent restriction of water flow and cause premature cartridge failure.

7.    Rinse the cartridge clean an reassemble housing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

goneaway

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:51:34 am »
Thanks Chaps, some really useful advice there.

We have some poor weather forecast in the UK for this week, so last night i decided to drain the tub and pack away until the weekend.
I guess one good thing about them being portable, they only take about an hour and half to setup and fill. I'm not on a water meter, and have solar panels installed. So it's not an expensive event.

I have tons to learn, so will be back for more advice no doubt.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:51:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42