What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: In Ground VS Above  (Read 3614 times)

derekb

In Ground VS Above
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:41:32 pm »
Forgive me if these are silly questions...

I'm curious about the possibilities of an in ground hot tub. I have a few questions about them if anyone has time to help it would be greatly appreciated :) Also, when I mention "in ground" hot tubs, im not referring to the typical pool & hot tub styles, where the hot tub is barebones and basically a solid shell holding water. Instead, I'm interested in an in ground hot tub that would be the same as say a Limelight Pulse....? I'm not even sure if they exist in ground..

1. Can in ground hot tubs have similar quality/options as an above?
2. Are in ground's cheaper or more expensive?
3. Are in ground's frowned upon by most? I've rarely seen an in ground one.

Hot Tub Forum

In Ground VS Above
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:41:32 pm »

bimmerdog

Re: In Ground VS Above
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:06:46 pm »
Question.....why do you want to do an in ground tub?  Remember if you do an in ground tub you still need to be able to access all parts of the tub. 

1. yes or very close on some models
2. more expensive because of the prep work.
3. for me it made no sense to go in ground

I can also take my tub if I move or sell it if I want a new tub.  If you want the top of the  tub to be level with the ground you could always build a deck for the tub to sit in.  It is much easier for most to just pour a cement slab or prepare the ground for a free standing hot tub.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:09:50 pm »
What you would need to do is create a pit, or vault, for the complete spa to set in. It would need to be LARGE enough so a service person can get into it to work on the spa if necessary (minimum 2' clearance all the way around). Typically it's VERY expensive creating/building the vault.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 11:46:40 am »
I have built vaults for many of our customers. It's OK to have three feet on the equipment end and just a couple of inches the rest of the way around, IF you allow for lifting the tub up at some point.

Certain models can sit on gravel, so you don't have to pour a slab in the bottom, but be sure to check. It depends upon the manufacturer and the model.

I use "Speed Block," which is easy to stack dry, and then pour concrete (or motart) into the voids.

Drainage is very important.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Sam

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 11:47:54 am »
Bullfrog has a kit for doing inground. 

http://www.bullfrogspas.com/spavault

You can create a trap door where your equipment compartment is to create access to the equipment.  This type of installation will add thousands to the price, but has a great finished look. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 11:47:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42