What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie water care advice  (Read 2291 times)

Wannatub

Newbie water care advice
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:09:09 am »
Can some of you hot tub veterans offer a newbie some advice  on the simplest and best water care system for a first time owner?

My new (to me) Vanguard is coming home this week and I really don’t know which method I want to follow.   So I guess what I’m asking is -- what do you use, and why?   It might also be interesting to know if there was a progression of systems from where you started to where you are today.

At this point I think I may be leaning toward a silver ion based system (Nature2?) but I know that I don’t know enough about water care to settle on anything at this point.  The one thing I do know for sure is that I'm looking forward to enjoying my tub way more than I'm looking forward want to becoming a junior chemist...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie water care advice
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:09:09 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Newbie water care advice
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:50:07 am »
Give us your current PH and Alk levels from the faucet. We can do a better job. For sanitation I find a small amount of dichlor (achieve a level of 3 PPM) after every use and shock (achieve a level of 10PPM) with dichlor or MPS (3-4 ozs.) after every 6-8 uses to work good. But a lot will depend on your usage level and how clean you are when you go in. You can add a N2 cartridge but I don't see much advantage. Change the water every 3-4 months. Rinse the filters every week or 5-6 soaks.
Retired

vangoghsear

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:23 pm »
Another Noob here, but I can add a couple things to Tman122's good advice.

When you get the tub up and running, take a bucket with a concentrated mixture of water and chlorine (I use 4 or 5 oz 6% Clorox per gallon water) and wash the upper edges of the tub, all the above the waterline areas and rinse them afterwards with your hose.  I use this same mixture to wash the underside of my cover every few weeks too.  When I am done with the mixture I dump the water on my spa steps then hose them down too.

I use Nature2 as a backup sanitizer.  I try and keep up with my chlorine, but sometimes life just happens, like a rainy couple of days, when you don't feel like standing in the rain to open the spa and throw in some chemicals, or you just plain forget to do it.  then at least the Nature2 is working, then you just throw in the chemicals when you remember.  I've done this a couple of times and my water looks and smells great.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:30:41 pm by vangoghsear »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42