What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2002 Hot Springs Sovereign Red Light Flashes  (Read 7237 times)

crabtruck

2002 Hot Springs Sovereign Red Light Flashes
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »
This has happened the last few times I have rinsed the filters and again when I emptied and refilled this weekend.

What I know:
-Anytime I power off the hot tub to remove and clean filters or drain and refill, the red light/LED blinks and spa will not run.
-However, I can run the jets all day with just the 20 amp breaker on. But as soon as I turn on the 30 amp breaker, the red light starts blinking within 30 seconds. Neither breaker has ever tripped.

The past few times prior to this, I played around with lowering the hot tub level and raising it and also re-seating filters, etc, and got lucky and got it to work okay. But I really want to figure this out and get the root problem fixed.

Any suggestions, experience with this?

Hot Tub Forum

2002 Hot Springs Sovereign Red Light Flashes
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: 2002 Hot Springs Sovereign Red Light Flashes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:02:25 am »
The red light flashes for only two reasons:
  • The heater is too hot
  • the Temp Sensor is bad

Last one first: if the sensor is bad, replace it. If it was working before you did the water change, it is most likely fine.

The heater can get hot for only one reason: water flow through the heater being too low. Several easy things to check regarding that: You said you 'rinsed' the filter. That does nothing for oil, and oil can block a filter which looks clean - you need to actually 'clean' the filter with a filter cleaner. For most folks, doing so once a year is fine, rinse the rest of the year. If you have lots of oil, or older filters, you may need to clean them more often.

If you get an air bubble in the circ pump, it may or may not start up by itself. A brand new pump will, but as they age it gets tougher, and I simply recommend you avoid the problem by never letting air get in there, or by blowing it out by putting the hose into the filter core as you refill every time. That primes it, and hopefully blows air out for you. You have two drains - only one is designed for water changes. The other is for draining the plumbing in case of freeze or other special situation, and using it almost always introduces air into the circ pump. If you feel you want to keep that drain clean and clear, wait until you have a full tub, add a shock treatment of chlorine, and open the cap for a minute then recap. Doing this once a year is usually fine.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

crabtruck

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:10:45 am »
sorry for not replying earlier but I wanted to thank you for the info you provided.

I think the problem is air bubble, and I had been opening the second drain when I drain and fill and will not do that from now on.

Thanks again

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:41:37 am »
No charge    ;)

8)

crabtruck

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:04:38 am »
hehe thanks, if you live nearby I'd buy ya a beer!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:15:15 am »
https://www.craftbeerconnect.com/beer_gift

Something light - I'm trying to lose some weight.

;D :D :D ;D ;)

8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:15:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42