What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with CoverCradle lifter?  (Read 5136 times)

HT2020

Anyone have experience with CoverCradle lifter?
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »
I purchased the covercradle lifter to install on my Vanguard HS spa;however, my dealer is very reluctant to install it.  He claims that I do not have enough clearance (I have exactly 24 inches, possibly 23 at the very least).  Also, he says that to install this lifter one has to drill holes into my nice spastone surround cabinet and this will cause water damage.  Watkins manufacturing feels that the holes will not cause any damage.  I would appreciate any advice on these issues.

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone have experience with CoverCradle lifter?
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Anyone have experience with CoverCradle lifter?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:05:35 am »
Needs a solid 24 inches.

Water is not an issue - if you live in a monsoon-prone area, dab some silicone on the screws just before you finish driving them in.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HT2020

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 01:42:03 am »
Thanks Chas.  I am looking for a coverlifter which allows for the least view obstruction when the cover is fully retracted.  The covercradle is only 18 inches above the bartop which is about as good as it gets.  I looked at all the other cover lifters available and the only ones that allowed for a low profile like that were those that required far more clearance in the back than I have (the cover caddy requires 36 inches).  The only other alternative that I can find is the Covermate II which has the advantage of not needing any screws into the cabinetry and sits about 2 feet above the bartop (as far as I can tell from the pictures).  I also love the fact that the covercradle installs into the proprietary hinge system of the HS cover and therefore no destructive bar along the seam is needed.  Lastly, I like the double gas pistons making it a breeze to manipulate.  Are you aware of any alternatives that are this good?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:10:11 am »
No, the lifts from Watkins are all in a league of their own -

I have put in "Cover Shelf" in cases where customers wanted to maintain the 360 degree views, but of course the cover is completely flat, so it needs the entire width of the folded cover next to the tub.

8)

Flyonthewall

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 01:57:26 pm »
no issue with water leakage as chas stated.  if you fall even a fraction of an inch under 24 at any point you will end up with the cover not opening all the way, and hovering over the soakers on that end.  no chance to drain and nudge the vanguard a half inch or so?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 04:07:10 pm »
I always tell people 24 1/2 or 25" especially if the cover is folding towards a cement/stone/brick wall because the cover "flap" will scrape/scuff if your at exactly 24"

HT2020

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:21:42 pm »
no issue with water leakage as chas stated.  if you fall even a fraction of an inch under 24 at any point you will end up with the cover not opening all the way, and hovering over the soakers on that end.  no chance to drain and nudge the vanguard a half inch or so?

Yes, I can eventually drain and nudge it a little bit.  Would it be possible to install the coverlifter at this point even if it can't close all the way (allowing it to loom) and then nudge the tub forward at the next drain?  The tub is currently on a new first-time fill and I would prefer not to drain it right now.  Nonetheless, I need a cover lifter (even if it looms) because I can't handle this one everyday by myself.  Also, do you feel that this cover lifter is superior to the covermate II?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 03:36:36 pm »
"Chas' law" states that a new tub owner should do a one-time water change at 30 days into tub ownership. It makes life a lot easier, makes tub care go smoother, and the fresh water will feel much better than the first fill did.

So - you might be ready for this, and you can kill two birds with one stone. Put the Cover Cradle on, and then move the tub as much as you need.

HT2020

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 02:14:26 am »
I hate to break any laws so I'll comply!

Flyonthewall

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 02:48:13 pm »
how did it work out?  hopefully you stuck with the cover cradle.  it really is the best looking and functioning lifter to use on a hss.  did your dealer help you with the install?

HT2020

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 07:48:18 pm »
They are coming out in a few weeks to install it.  It turns out that I will need to move the tub a few inches for it to fit perfectly.  Coiincidentally it will also be time for a tub drain.  Therefore, I'll drain the tub first, take advantage of their prescence to move the tub, install the cradle and then re-fill the tub.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:34:15 am »
And post pictures, of course  ;)

8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:34:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42