What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2007 Caldera Geneva Diverter valve issue  (Read 6070 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
2007 Caldera Geneva Diverter valve issue
« on: May 11, 2013, 02:21:23 pm »
Hey Guys,

It's been a loooooooooong time since I've posted, but I'm hoping some of the expert techs are still around and can help me out. I'm having a diverter valve problem on my 2007 Caldera Geneva and was hoping for some help. The valve is not turning. I am assuming it's bound up with grit or calcium.  I lifted off the handle and unscrewed the collar, and then attempted to lift out the valve. The stem came off but the valve assembly is still in the tub.     

Now that I may have just possibly broken the thing, I figured it was a good time to ask "What's the right way to remove a diverter valve?  ;)"

Is tjhe black stem supposed to come off? How does one get the valve out?  And once the valve is out, what's the best way to clean it? I was thinking of maybe soaking it in some white vinegar and them working the valve a few times to free it up.

Or am I doing this all wrong?

Thanks!
Andy
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

2007 Caldera Geneva Diverter valve issue
« on: May 11, 2013, 02:21:23 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: 2007 Caldera Geneva Diverter valve issue
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:14 am »
I think the easiest fix is to simply buy a new spa. We can haul away that old tub for free, of course. Email me your credit card info and choose your colors - it's that easy!

- OR -

Turn the jet pump on for a split second. Be aware that the core may shoot out like a bullet, killing or injuring innocent bystanders (guilty bystanders are usually pretty safe) or doing property damage. And if you are successful in popping the core out, you will now have a raging fountain of water since the diverter is plumbed directly to the pump itself.

Before you start, go buy a diverter kit - so you know which parts are included. That way if it will not pop, you can drill a couple of pilot holes into the retainer ring, and thread in a couple of screws to give you something to pull on.

I have done this safely by piling several large towels on top of the diverter to catch it and the massive water - but the key is to very quickly turn the pump on and then off again.

Be safe!! 

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:50:18 pm »
Thanks Chas.

When you say  Diverter kit, do you mean a new valve, or is there a rebuild kit I need?

I was thinking to see if I could free it up and pop it back in there,  if I couldn't get it out or if I couldn't get it to unbind then buy a new valve. No? ....(runs off and checks prices on line) Wait these things are under $10? no problem.  :)

Thanks Again Chas.
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:37:52 pm »
They don't sell the o-rings by themselves - as you said, the price for the whole kit is low enough, so might as well go that route.

8)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:52:00 am »
I finally was able to get around to fixing the diverter valve.  As Chas suggested, I purchased a new valve under $20) but the problem was getting the old one out.

Much to my disapointment,  when I unscrewed the collar/flange and turned the pumps on., the stuck valve did not shoot out at a high velocity and did not injur inocent bystanders or any small woodland creatures. :P It stayed put with water squirting out around it. soaking me, my wife and my tools.

I tried to drill it out. At first using a very small drill bit and then using precise dental picks to try and lift the valvle out. No dice.

I then drill the hell out of it with a 1/2"  bit and yanked the sucker out.  Success! I cleaned out any grit and slipped the new valve in. Piece of cake.  The new valve works effortlessly! Thanks Chas!

I  then went to the other two valves that now, compared to the new valve, didn't turn as smoothly, so I pulled them out and cleaned out the grit and they are turning a lot better now as well.

8)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:32:55 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:33:28 am »
Well, sorry it was so much work and nothing got blown up or killed, but glad you got it out.

Those valves should be cleaned regularly! Take them out and clean them once a year - of course, you will be the first person on the planet to actually do so...

8)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:42:15 pm »
Well, sorry it was so much work and nothing got blown up or killed, but glad you got it out.

There's always next time.  ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Flyonthewall

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:49:46 pm »
use defender (or another descaler) and you hopefully won't need to deal with this again before you take chas up on the trade-in offer.  even in hard water so cal, spas treated with defender usually don't have diverters seize up for 12-15 yrs.

clover

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:32:38 pm »
For the benefit of others, when you first begin to feel resistance, or grinding, in the turning orperation, or when the diverter starts feeling like a pepper mill, open it up, and pull it out.  you will most likely find sand, cinders from your roof shingles, or other granular substances carried in on the bottom of your feet jamed behind to wall of the diverter causing it to bind up.  Ignoring it, will not make it go away, and forcing it to turn will only cause ti to eventually sieze up like it did for Drewstar.

Removing it and wiping it off is the only action needed.  Left uncorrected, the plastic begins to score, imbedding the grit and further complicating the problem, and it should be sanded down.

As Drewstar found out, it is like pulling a bad tooth, but that was likely six months after the symptom first started.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:32:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42