What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone want to sell me a new hot tub? I need a knowledgeable dealer!!  (Read 8606 times)

kayanne

I live in a small-ish town in southwest Louisiana, and we have only one hot tub dealer in town.  They carry Hot Springs, Hot Spot, and Caldera, one or two of each on the floor, and only 2 very small 110V tubs are filled with water.  They told me several months ago that I can't wet test any tub that requires 220V, because their store is not wired for that.  So I actually did some wet tests in another town where I was visiting last Christmas. (at that time, we decided we liked the Envoy, but honestly I don't even remember what other ones we tried).

I've been looking for months, and I really want to buy in the near future, maybe a HS Envoy (pr possibly Vista or Sovereign).  I again visited the local dealer last weekend, and it just seems like they just "happen to sell" hot tubs.  No one there is an expert.  Every time I asked a question, she would flip through the brochure and read off a simple answer based on the printed info.

Is there any reason that it's best to buy from my local dealer, or is there anyone here in southwest LA or southeast TX who would like to earn my business?  By "earn my business," I mean give me answers and guidance, and the ability to wet test.  I feel like I'm stuck in "analysis paralysis" mode, because I don't want to spend this big chunk of money on a hot tub, then realize we're not happy with our choice.

One of my biggest uncertainties is whether I want a lounger.  Husband says he really liked the lounger when we wet-tested, but I honestly don't remember if I did, since that was several months ago.  I do know I love the moto-massage (because I used to own a Vanguard).  So if I float out of the lounger (likely), and have to use other seats most of the time, then I won't really get to enjoy the moto-massage.  My local dealer was of no help in advising me on this aspect (she just said, "Oh most people don't have any problem 'floating' up out of the lounger," which I don't believe at all.)

Anyone willing and able to help???

Hot Tub Forum

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
I live in a small-ish town in southwest Louisiana, and we have only one hot tub dealer in town.  They carry Hot Springs, Hot Spot, and Caldera, one or two of each on the floor, and only 2 very small 110V tubs are filled with water.  They told me several months ago that I can't wet test any tub that requires 220V, because their store is not wired for that.  So I actually did some wet tests in another town where I was visiting last Christmas. (at that time, we decided we liked the Envoy, but honestly I don't even remember what other ones we tried).

I've been looking for months, and I really want to buy in the near future, maybe a HS Envoy (pr possibly Vista or Sovereign).  I again visited the local dealer last weekend, and it just seems like they just "happen to sell" hot tubs.  No one there is an expert.  Every time I asked a question, she would flip through the brochure and read off a simple answer based on the printed info.

Is there any reason that it's best to buy from my local dealer, or is there anyone here in southwest LA or southeast TX who would like to earn my business?  By "earn my business," I mean give me answers and guidance, and the ability to wet test.  I feel like I'm stuck in "analysis paralysis" mode, because I don't want to spend this big chunk of money on a hot tub, then realize we're not happy with our choice.

One of my biggest uncertainties is whether I want a lounger.  Husband says he really liked the lounger when we wet-tested, but I honestly don't remember if I did, since that was several months ago.  I do know I love the moto-massage (because I used to own a Vanguard).  So if I float out of the lounger (likely), and have to use other seats most of the time, then I won't really get to enjoy the moto-massage.  My local dealer was of no help in advising me on this aspect (she just said, "Oh most people don't have any problem 'floating' up out of the lounger," which I don't believe at all.)

Anyone willing and able to help???

If in doubt or not able to wet test skip the lounge would be my first bit of advice. I might not be too worried is the sales person is not an authority as it appears but I sure want to know if the store manager/owner knows whats going on and certainly the service tech(s). Ask if how long they've carried this brand, ask if they service their own spas and maybe ask how long their service guy has worked there.

One of this sites long time pros and biggest contributors is a guy in East Texas who knows a thing or two about hot tubs and taking care of customers. We haven't seen good ole "Terminator" here lately but maybe he could help you. I have no idea if the distance is an issue but you could always try to contact him. If you contact him tell him this site sent you over and that we need him to post some pictures of his latest adventures.

http://www.ilovemyspa.com/locations.php
220, 221, whatever it takes!

kayanne

If in doubt or not able to wet test skip the lounge would be my first bit of advice. I might not be too worried is the sales person is not an authority as it appears but I sure want to know if the store manager/owner knows whats going on and certainly the service tech(s). Ask if how long they've carried this brand, ask if they service their own spas and maybe ask how long their service guy has worked there.

One of this sites long time pros and biggest contributors is a guy in East Texas who knows a thing or two about hot tubs and taking care of customers. We haven't seen good ole "Terminator" here lately but maybe he could help you. I have no idea if the distance is an issue but you could always try to contact him. If you contact him tell him this site sent you over and that we need him to post some pictures of his latest adventures.

http://www.ilovemyspa.com/locations.php

Thanks, I did look up his store information, and called them.  I spoke with a woman there; I didn't ask her about the "Terminator."  :-\

I told her about how difficult it's been to find a place to wet test.  She said their store would be willing to fill the Vista and Enoy that's on their floor, which I may take her up on.  But It doesn't seem right that this store should have to go to the expense of doing that for me, considering they aren't allowed to sell to me (as I understand it).  Also seems I shouldn't have to drive several hours to wet test, when there is a dealer in my own town who can't be bothered to hook up their tubs for wet testing.

I actually called the customer service number I found for Watkins Manufacturing.  I told this person that I've been wanting to buy a tub for several months, that I have filled out online quote forms, I've called various dealers, I've read and posted in hot tub message boards, I've tried and tried to find a place to wet test the models we've narrowed it down to.  I told her "No one buys shoes without trying them on; no one buys a mattress without lying on it for a while.  How can your company expect me to buy an expensive hot tub when I don't know how it's going to feel for ME??"  The person at our local dealer actually said to me "Oh they all feel about the same."  I told her I feel like I am a complete inconvenience to their company; that it feels like Watkins thinks I should just plop down my money, no questions asked.  She said she'd have her supervisor call me back.  That was a couple weeks ago, and I never heard anything back.  >:(

I just continue to be amazed that the Watkins company is apparently so nonchalant about the fact that, here I am, a Wanna-Be-Hot-Spring-Owner (and previous Hot Spring owner, actually).......and it seems they could care less.  If I owned a company, and I made it this difficult for customers to make an informed decision about a $12K purchase, I can't imagine that I'd be in business long.  I just don't get how Watkins would allow a dealer to sell their product when that dealer does not even have the ability to offer wet testing, and Watkins won't allow another dealer in a different territory to sell one to me.  I still really want a hot tub, but on principle I don't think I can spend that much money with a company who seems to value their customers so little.  No company should make it this difficult for me to spend my money with them.

Watkins----are you reading this???

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Here is a few things to keep in mind:...first off Watkins does not "own" any of the dealers...they are independently owned, Watkins doesn't pay light bills, phone bills, internet bills, power bills, or the wages of the employees of these dealers so there is nothing they can really do if your local dealer leases/buys a building that does not have 220v capability.  Of course they want all there dealers to have all the company signage, banners, plenty of tubs filled and ready to test but they cannot "force" that on dealers, its not in the contract.  I also do believe its completely foolish to not have 220v models ready to test, I have 6 models right now ready to use and its a huge advantage over the guys down the street who have 1 $12,000 unit only to test, made many sales this way so I'm def. on your side here...

you called them direct to complain...fine, absolutely nothing wrong with calling a manufacturer to let them know your frustrated, but what exactly is a lady behind a desk in Vista California supposed to do for you in Louisiana? It's not like she can call your local dealer and force them to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade electrical service so you can test a tub, it just doesn't work that way (see above)...obviously "they all feel about the same" isn't the ideal response in my opinion but her hands are tied like I said

Also just to clarify....I'm in Minnesota, I can sell and ship a tub to Florida if I want, there are no rules against that...however, I do have to service that spa or arrange for service to be completed by a local competent technician/electrician/etc. which may not be the ideal situation but it has and can be done without issue.  This is sort of an unregulated rule, bottom line the manufacturer just wants to make sure the customer is taken care of in the end, which is completely understandable.

With all that said I feel your frustration as I would certainly be frustrated as well, but the fact of the matter is Hottubs are not Minivans, you can't expect every little small town in America to have a massive Hot Tub dealer nearby with models to test on hand like you do a car dealership.  There is not enough $ in towns under 50-100k to support a "hottub only" store so your going to run into dealers who sell pools, fireplaces, hottubs, grills, tanning beds, etc. etc. and when you spread yourself that thin you deal with people not knowing the product as well, reading out of the brochure, not enough models on hand or any models filled and ready to test, etc. etc. and that is what you are dealing with right now.

my advice is to call the nearest dealer within reason and simply be honest and let them know your intentions of wet testing a spa.  I've done this with direct buy customers in the past and customers who have "second homes" in other states, etc....yes as a sales guy its not ideal because money is made on sales but sometimes it just feels good to help someone out and even in some cases the people appreciated it so much they still call me to purchase and ship them chemicals/filters and other misc. supplies.

Lastly, you may think they don't care about customers but your very very far from the truth, I've had 10k+ hottubs completely replaced free of charge for warped skimmer lid frames...I've had tubs replaced for light issues that could have been repaired on-site but would have been very labor intensive, covers replaced that were a few months out of warranty, covers replaced that were damaged due to user error and still got replaced...and the list goes on and on, and yes I do have a frame of reference vs. the competition because I've worked for a Cal Spas/D1/Jacuzzi dealer...if I would have recommended a complete spa replacement for a warped skimmer frame through Cal Spas they would have literally laughed at me.

Good Luck

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
I would be more than happy to sell you a tub - from here in So Cal.

But, I would be responsible to do any warranty work - or arrange to have it done by a local repair person.

If push comes to shove, buy it from Terminator's outfit, and ask them to waive the drive fee on the first service call, if you have one. (There are rarely one, much less two).

You may get a good deal, and I know you will get great service from those guys. Tell 'em Chas said so!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.

But, I would be responsible to do any warranty work - or arrange to have it done by a local repair person.

If push comes to shove, buy it from Terminator's outfit, and ask them to waive the drive fee on the first service call, if you have one. (There are rarely one, much less two).

You may get a good deal, and I know you will get great service from those guys. Tell 'em Chas said so!

8)

Ditto
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

kayanne

8)

Am I understanding correctly, any needed/covered work during the entire warranty period would have to come from the dealer at which I purchased the tub?  (Not like my Camry that I can take to any Toyota dealer).

kayanne

Here is a few things to keep in mind:...first off Watkins does not "own" any of the dealers...they are independently owned, Watkins doesn't pay light bills, phone bills, internet bills, power bills, or the wages of the employees of these dealers so there is nothing they can really do if your local dealer leases/buys a building that does not have 220v capability.

I would think they most certainly could make that a requirement to anyone who wants to set up a dealership.  Seems like a no-brainer to me, since the mantra of everyone on various hot tub forums is "wet test! wet test!"

Of course they want all there dealers to have all the company signage, banners, plenty of tubs filled and ready to test but they cannot "force" that on dealers, its not in the contract.  I also do believe its completely foolish to not have 220v models ready to test, I have 6 models right now ready to use and its a huge advantage over the guys down the street who have 1 $12,000 unit only to test, made many sales this way so I'm def. on your side here...

Thanks for your understanding, and for lengthy response.  Much appreciated!  :)

you called them direct to complain...fine, absolutely nothing wrong with calling a manufacturer to let them know your frustrated, but what exactly is a lady behind a desk in Vista California supposed to do for you in Louisiana?

My call wasn't really to complain so much as it was to get some guidance.  I was getting tired of spending so much time making phone calls to numerous dealers (and to even get a phone number for a dealer, first I have to google a zip code for each town I want to call, to input on the Hot Spring website, so it will take me to a dealer in that town; otherwise it always takes me to my own town's dealer.)  Some of the out of town dealers were willing to let me come try their tubs, others pretty much told me I should shop at the local place, because of territory restrictions. (Although some responses here make it sound like that is not a hard and fast rule with Watkins, so I'm just floored that stores turn away business from someone who clearly wants to buy one of their big-ticket items!)

Lastly, you may think they don't care about customers but your very very far from the truth, I've had 10k+ hottubs completely replaced free of charge for warped skimmer lid frames...I've had tubs replaced for light issues that could have been repaired on-site but would have been very labor intensive, covers replaced that were a few months out of warranty, covers replaced that were damaged due to user error and still got replaced...and the list goes on and on, and yes I do have a frame of reference vs. the competition because I've worked for a Cal Spas/D1/Jacuzzi dealer...if I would have recommended a complete spa replacement for a warped skimmer frame through Cal Spas they would have literally laughed at me.

That does make me feel better.  From everything I've read and heard, plus owning a HS Vanguard in the past, I had always thought of Watkins as reputable.  So the difficulties I'm having in my current shopping experience had left me frustrated to say the least.  I do want to end up with a quality tub from a company that will stand behind it.

Thanks again for your response!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years

8)

Am I understanding correctly, any needed/covered work during the entire warranty period would have to come from the dealer at which I purchased the tub?  (Not like my Camry that I can take to any Toyota dealer).

If you take your spa into the dealer for service, I'd be willing to wager most would accommodate you :-)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

kayanne

8)

If you take your spa into the dealer for service, I'd be willing to wager most would accommodate you :-)

But as I mentioned, I drive a Toyota Camry, and you know how those are on trunk space.  ;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
But as I mentioned, I drive a Toyota Camry, and you know how those are on trunk space.  ;)

So funny! You definitely deserve to have a HotSpring Portable Spa. Please go visit Terminator - you and he will get along JUST fine, and they have lots of tubs ready to wet test. Make a day of it, you won't be sorry.

HTH

8)

kayanne

So funny! You definitely deserve to have a HotSpring Portable Spa. Please go visit Terminator - you and he will get along JUST fine, and they have lots of tubs ready to wet test. Make a day of it, you won't be sorry.

HTH

8)

What is Terminator's first name? Is he the owner of East Texas Spas, or an employee there?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Chris
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
And he is the Manager of East Texas Spas. They have two locations - I think! They had three, but I think they may have 'right sized' one location.

http://www.ilovemyspa.com/hot-tubs.php

8)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
My daughter lives in Florida now - I would be happy to cut you a deal on a HotSpring Portable tub and deliver it to LA. She said she'll come that far and help with the delivery. We haven't seen her in months!

I could say 'hey' to Chris Ogden while I was passing through. Win win!

However, this is the busy season, and I couldn't get away for that many days right now. Are you in a hurry?

Let me know...

8)

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42