What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Alternative for cover lifters  (Read 4909 times)

ellie

Alternative for cover lifters
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »
Hi all, I'm new to this forum (and to hot tubs), so I'm hoping to learn a lot here. I was pricing out some cover lifters and couldn't believe how pricey they were. Does anyone have suggestions for lifting the cover without the expensive store-bought products? Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Alternative for cover lifters
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Alternative for cover lifters
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 04:45:04 pm »
You could make one.  Someone posted back a few months ago on how to make one.  Or you can just take the cover on and off manually.  You should be able to buy a decent one for $200 or so.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 04:48:49 pm »
A friend of mine simply keeps a picknic table next to their hot tub and he slides his cover over on that.

I bought this and love it, no holes need to be drilled into the sides of the tub.  And, you can simply slide the cover into the open arms and leave it, which gives an upper head-rest area/wind protection, or, you can easily fold it downward and your cover is nearly hidden from sight as it rests on the outside of your tub.

http://www.amazon.com/Cover-Valet-NP509-Lift-Caddy/dp/B0015Z417W/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366835953&sr=8-1&keywords=cover+caddy

J

PS: Here is a link to our tub with it; the last couple photos show the cover caddy.  I don't show it folded down (which in our case) hides the whole thing on the outside of our tub, but you can see it with the arms left open (which I do half the time).

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16101.0.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:04:41 pm by JohnnyK45 »

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:19:16 pm »
You could make one.  Someone posted back a few months ago on how to make one.  Or you can just take the cover on and off manually.  You should be able to buy a decent one for $200 or so.

I have a sturdy one that has lasted over a decade. Spread the cost over many years and think of it that way and get a decent one, not just the cheapest one you can get. I'd rather spend a couple hundred and get a good one than have to move my picnic table next to the spa and use that as a holding spot to save myself about $20 a year but thats just me.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »
I agree with the Ace - it may seem like a lot, but it pays for itself in reduced aggravation. That translates into using the tub more, and getting your money out of the whole package.

Also - most lifts extend the life of the cover by virtue of the fact you are not handling the thing by it ears (skirt, tie-downs, handles, etc.) I said 'Most' because the lifters which pull up on the hinge when closed and hang the cover by it's hinge when open are not going to help a cover last longer. The ones which look something like JohnnyK posted are best, and there are more than one company which produce them.

HTH

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42