What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ecoone  (Read 8716 times)

JohnnyK45

Re: ecoone
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 01:58:15 am »
Product works great; my levels are always spot on.  I simply toss in a packet when we get out; and once a week, two packets on Wednesday or Thursday.  I don't test much anymore, no need to.  Pretty simple.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 01:58:15 am »

brillskill

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 09:03:40 am »
A packet of ecoone shock?..do you use the monthly stuff?

JohnnyK45

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 10:05:19 am »
Yes; the two products you will need are their Spa Monthly and their OneShock packets.  Spa Monthly, one bottle per month (sometimes I forget and go longer), and I toss in a packet of their OneShock when I get out; then just one day a week when getting out, I toss in two packets (which they recommend).

chem geek

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »
The ecoone® ONEshock™ product is nothing more than 0.25 ounces of Dichlor in a pre-measured self dissolving packet.  So what you are buying is the convenience of these pre-measured packets.  They recommend one packet per 250 gallons and they say to wait 5 minutes and test the chlorine level which should measure 2-3 ppm, and that one should maintain 2-3 ppm FC in the spa by adding more packets as needed in between soaks.  Note that one packet would roughly handle approximately 25 minutes of soaking for one person so for a typical 20-30 minute soak using one packet per person should work about right.  Note that you need to add more packets (chlorine) in between soaks to maintain a residual.  I'm assuming the 0.25 ounces is for the Dichlor contents; if it's the weight of the packet, then there is less chlorine in each packet than I described.

So this really isn't any different than using Dichlor-only except for the convenience of the packets.  One will still get a buildup of CYA in the water though their monthly "SPA monthly" product is a clarifier that will reduce the inevitable cloudiness that would result from the CYA buildup causing chlorine to not oxidize bather waste quickly enough in more heavily used spas.

The Dichlor-then-bleach method is much less expensive and the water lasts a lot longer between water changes, but it's obviously not as convenient since it doesn't have pre-measured packets.

The full instructions for the ONEshock product are as follows:

DIRECTIONS FOR USE

1. Chlorinate: With jets running, add .25 oz. (one, ONEshock� dissolving packet) of this product per 250 gallons of water. Wait 5 minutes, then check chlorine residual. Residual chlorine must read between 2 to 3 ppm.

2. Maintain: This product should be added daily or as necessary to maintain 2 to 3 ppm residual chlorine. Frequent checks should be made of residual chlorine using a reliable test kit. Allow at least 5 minutes mix time before sampling. Note: Heavy bather usage or the use of oils or lotion may increase the chlorine demand of the spa or hot tub resulting in the need for more frequent checks of chlorine residual.

3. Check pH: pH should be monitored with a reliable test kit and maintained at 7.2 to 7.8 range for clean, sparkling water. pH can be decreased by adding a suitable agent such as sodium bisulphate or increased by adding a suitable agent such as sodium bicarbonate.

4. SUPER-CHLORINATION: It is good practice to super-chlorinate each 2 to 4 weeks. To super-chlorinate, add 1/2 oz. (two, ONEshock� dissolving packets) of ONEshock� for each 250 gallons of water. Thoroughly clean spa, vacuum and cycle through filter. Resume program when chlorine residual reads 2 to 3 ppm.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 02:34:35 pm »
pre-packaged and overpriced...buy chlorine and shock in bulk then go to the dollar store and buy some plastic measuring spoons and save yourself a bunch of money per year vs. buying ecoone

chem geek

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 10:20:16 pm »
That's true on price.  The ecoone® ONEshock™ product is $18-$21 per pound for Dichlor (and that pound might be including the weight of the packet material -- not sure about that) compared to $7.50-$10 per pound for Dichlor sold in small spa quantities and $6.25 to as low as $3.38 per pound in larger pool size volumes.  Some people don't want to handle or smell concentrated chlorine product, though I don't know if they are willing to pay at least 2x for that benefit.

If people want an even lower price for chlorinating their spa, then nothing beats Dichlor-then-bleach since once one switches over to bleach after roughly a week, the price is the equivalent of $2.87 per Dichlor pound for a 3 quart Clorox bleach at Walmart or less for off-brand bleaches (that are still at least 6% bleach).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:26:46 pm by chem geek »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 10:20:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42