Hot Tub Forum

ecoone
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:47:08 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: ecoone
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:05:13 pm »
For what? Thinning your wallet? Works great!
Retired

brillskill

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »
Thx for your insightful info

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:34:21 pm »
There are a couple of people n this board who use it.  To me it's kind of expensive for wht it is. It's not an oxidizer so you still need to use chlorine with it. My tub I use dichlor in it and have found it easy to manage.

brillskill

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:46:49 pm »
So if I need chlorine..what is the point of it..it's not a sanitizer?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »
No it's not a sanitizer. I am pretty sure it's also not EPA approved.  It cuts. Down on the amount f chlorine needed

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:42:04 pm »
So if I need chlorine..what is the point of it..it's not a sanitizer?

They say a thick wallet is bad for your back.
Retired

brillskill

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:02:09 am »
From the site ...Eco One can act as a replacement for, or greatly reduce your need for the vast majority of your spa-care chemical regime. One bottle of Eco One Monthly in conjunction with a non-chlorine shock treatment will effectively keep your spa water crystal clear and odor free for 30 days or more....so I guess it can work without chlorine..

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:49 am »
hmmmmmmmm, interesting "guess".

"Eco One can act as a replacement for, or greatly reduce your need for the vast majority of your spa-care chemical regime"

Perhaps this just refers to water clairifiers and stain and scale inhibitors?

"effectively keep your spa water crystal clear and odor free for 30 days or more"

Where in that does it say it's kills bacteria...at the rate required by the EPA to be classified as a sanitizer?

Their site also says, "Using the ecoone® SPA system will eliminate or reduce the need for harsh chemicals to maintain a spa such as metal removers, clarifiers andscum digesters." and "Works with most sanitizers such as mineral cartridges, dichlor and bromine."

Is see nothing there regarding longer a need for chlorine or other sanitizers.

Also from their site..."MAINTAIN SANITIZER LEVELS: Safety first – Bacteria love a warm water environment (SEE SANITIZERS, Page: 5.)"
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

brillskill

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 09:14:43 am »
you think they mean just use shock once in a while,,maybe after using the tub?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:57:21 pm »
That's what I do anyway? I dump a small amount of dichlor in after I soak. I also use some baking soda to adjust alk/PH. So if those what are considered chemicals? I guess the term chemicals scares a lot of people. That's how they sucker people into buying very expensive stuff that really doesn't do much if anything. I wonder if the "chemicals" in my chocolate chip cookies will kill me?
Retired

brillskill

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:59 pm »
Is dichlor chlorine?

Sam

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 06:53:00 pm »
dichlor is a form of chlorine, the form most commonly used in hot tubs.  It is actually sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate, but dichlor for short.

brillskill

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:27:14 pm »
Thx Sam,so a relatively easy method is a little chlorine after soaking some arm and hammer for ph and maybe shock after a lot of people in the tub?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 09:48:16 pm »
Thx Sam,so a relatively easy method is a little chlorine after soaking some arm and hammer for ph and maybe shock after a lot of people in the tub?

That is a very easy and sure way to keep clean water. However depending on your water you may or may not need Arm and Hammer. Diclor has a tendency to drive down PH and Alk (this makes your water acidic) The baking soda brings it back up. The human tear has a PH of 7.2 But anything from about 7 to 7.8 is acceptable. Once you learn your water it can be very simple to drive up PH and Alk at the beginning to say 7.6 and then allow the dichlor additions to drive it back down to say 7.0 Then simply add a cup of baking soda and walla it's back at 7.4 Of course the amount of dichlor (sanitizer) you use may change based on use. I like to bring my chlorine level to 5-7 PPM after every soak. Sometimes that takes 2-3 TBLS. I don't soak every day so in say 2-3 days the level is down to .2 PPM no smell with the very low level. In some instances. I only add 1 TBLS and the level gets to say 2-3 PPM Then maybe I soak the next day. I have even used more because I knew I wasn't soaking for 4-5 days. It is something you will learn with time.

It's at the point now. I add a cup of baking soda at a fresh fill and 3 TBLS of dichlor. I don't even test the water. I soak and add dichlor for a couple weeks and then I test the water. It's usually perfect at that point. Clean the filter every other week or every 4-6 soaks. I keep a spare and just change out. I also drive up my chlorine PPM to 10 (shock) after about 6-8 soaks. This takes a few days to get down before I will soak again. By this time 20 soaks or so I have to add more Arm and Hammer. 1 Cup, I change water every 3-4 probably closer to 4 months. This is Minnesota so I change water as late in the fall/early winter as I can, usually late Nov early Dec. I wait till late April early May to change again. Then likely twice during the balance of the year depending on use. Pretty simple. I test with a Taylor test kit about 2-3 times during a water cycle 3-4 months. Don't even really need to do that it's so predictable.

1 user mostly, 1 hour soak (3 beers) occasional guests maybe 1-2 times during a water cycle.

Without knowing your PH and Alk readings from the faucet I can't say whether this will be the same for you.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:58:39 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 09:48:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42