What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Guide to use when shopping for a HOT TUB  (Read 2551 times)

DLHTUB

Guide to use when shopping for a HOT TUB
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:22:04 am »
Setting out for my 2nd Spa/HTub show and wanted to know if there is a "list" of the MUST have (over nice to have) features for a first-time hot tub buyer. (eg. I've heard a wet test should/could be requested, Salt water option IS the way to go if it can be afforded ? 
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Hot Tub Forum

Guide to use when shopping for a HOT TUB
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:22:04 am »

Sam

Re: Guide to use when shopping for a HOT TUB
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:04:26 pm »
There are pros and cons to saltwater.  The pros are often misrepresented.  Saltwater is just another way to introduce chlorine into the water, fyi.  The salt is corrosive though some sales guys will say the levels are not high enough to be.  It has been my experience that people with saltwater spas have higher failure rates of heater elements, jet fittings, etc.  You can see the rust looking oxidation on components and I've seen it on tubs less than a year old.  There is also a need to regularly clean the electrode. Balancing your water becomes much more important.  Imo, saltwater tubs are not a good idea, though others swear by them. 

What hot tub show are you going to?  If it is the traveling pool spa and bbq expo, do some research on it before you go.  Very shady business practices.  There have been multiple threads about it here.  Find a reputable local dealer and wet test some tubs.  Go with the features that appeal to you.  Imo, reliability, ease of maintenance, some good jets, and support from a reputable dealer are all you need.  Stereos, tvs, salt systems, etc are just more things to fail and distract from the point of a hot tub......to relax in warm water and get a massage.  This may not be true for everyone and is just my opinion.

clover

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »
Sam’s perspective is spot on.  When you subject yourself to the sales process, they emphasize the "talking points" to sell their product.  It does not mean it is the best thing since sliced bread.  We have seen a lot of good things come and go in this industry, while quality prevails.

Let me ask, "What is the purpose of a salt generator".  While I know the answer, you need to understand it is there for the water, the biggest problem in our industry, and they are trying to find the better way of addressing good water quality.  If you want a suggestion, "look at the quality of the water" in the display spas.  That is the key to what you may expect.

Water quality is the most talked about issue on this or any other site, and that relates back to your introduction into Hot Water, the dealer you buy from.

I am an ozone proponent that realizes the need for chemical when necessary.  The purpose of a salt generator is to produce chlorine as a chemical agent, something like ozone isn't it.  An appliance that is supposed to be the solution, but still needs to be understood.  Salt water is corrosive, end of story.  I have witnessed manufactures that have used it, and then removed it; maybe it has something to do with warranty claims.  Those who sell it and promote it are selling their product line with the attributes that it represents.  You become the best judge in what is best for you.

As for what would be appreciated by the consumer in a product, let's start with the ambiguous word Quality, then water treatments and expectations looking at their water quality in the display model, then performance, energy efficiency, followed by service and support. 

The best advice is to set your $ range, measure what you find, and if necessary adjust your $ range to afford something you will have and use for a very long time.

As for shows, they can be a draw for "fish bait", you must know what you are looking at and this is a good sounding board to inquire before you make commitments.  And then, there is the critical issue of who you are buying from. 
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42