What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Won't Turn On.  (Read 8376 times)

JordonBoss

Hot Tub Won't Turn On.
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:28 pm »
I've got an older Cal Coast Spa (maybe 15 years or so, I'm not sure since I got it used).  The pump stopped switching into high when I hit the jets button, it would go from the low circulating speed and sound like it would try to go into high but then it would just turn off and 15 minutes later or so you could try again and the same thing would happen.  Eventually it stopped working all together nothing happens when you hit the Jets button, and it doesn't work in low to keep the tub warm either.  The heat light flickers with no rhyme or reason.  It still has power cause the light works.  I've tried running it without the filter in and I've hit the heat reset button.  I opened up the main panel and controls panel and don't see any obviously loose wiring or corrosion.  I had the tub working for about two months before this happened and now its been sitting for about six.

Thanks for any help,
Jordon

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Won't Turn On.
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:28 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Tub Won't Turn On.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:05:12 pm »
Sounds like a bad pump

jacksonbird03

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:11:39 am »
Hey I don't know the solution of your problem but you can use the link provided and hope you will get the proper solution to your problem...

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Spa-Troubleshooting-W29.aspx

:)

JordonBoss

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:59:35 pm »
I bench tested the pump, works fine.  I also tried that spa depot trouble shooter, wasn't any help.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:48:20 pm »
 Bad motor, or bad capacitor. 

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:31:16 am »
Well, There can be several possibilities...the first thing I would do is test power coming in and make sure you have 220V between the two hots, I've seen a GFCI dropping a leg of power cause issues like this.

Second, I would pull the pump fuses and test them...the key is to pull them then squeeze the clips that hold them back together. If that fuse isn't seating well in the cradle it will cause intermittent issues.

Third, put a meter on the pump plug coming out of the box and see if you are getting consistent power there. If the pump is 220 you should get 220v between the black and white on low and red and white on high in most cases but the motor schematic can tell you that. You could have a relay going bad on the board that is sticking and the only real way to know that is with a meter.

Last, the motor itself may have a centrifugal switch that is coming apart...they often have two springs on the switch that come off one side or the other and work intermittent. The springs are on a clutch that activates a double micro switch. The metal reeds on the micro switch can also be burned and arching across.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:31:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42