What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a 10 year old Hot Spring  (Read 5664 times)

Tubber1111

Buying a 10 year old Hot Spring
« on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:53 pm »
Hi all,

I've been in the market for a hot tub for the past few months, have made the rounds to my local dealers and have spend a number of hours on this and other similar sites.  I guess I was a bit naive when I first got into this and didn't think the cost would be as high as it is.  An entry-level, new HotSpot tub is going to run me in the $6k range, not including electrical.  I'm all for investing in quality, but I'm a bit concerned that I'll shell out a large amount of money, and then be the only person in my family to enjoy it.  There are four of us in my family, and my oldest who would most likely use it as much as I would will be away at college in 1.5 years. 

I have been looking at Craigslist, and much of what I see looks like junk, and all look to be empty.  I did find a 2003 Hot Spring Prodigy listed in the low $2k's that's full of water an operational (from my e-mail discussion with the seller).  I've spoken to the local Hot Spring dealer, and they would move it for $300, and I would look to offer something below $2k, that would keep the overall cost close to $2K, again, not including electric.

Would I be foolish to contemplate purchasing a tub this old?  I'm fairly handy, but am not looking to spend my time fixing a hot tub.

Any opinions and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Buying a 10 year old Hot Spring
« on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:53 pm »

Flyonthewall

Re: Buying a 10 year old Hot Spring
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:33:01 pm »
that tub is a tank, with little to repair other than normal stuff during its approx 20 yr life span (heater, circ pump, diverter, jet pump maybe, heater board if it hasn't been changed already.)
knowing what i know i would buy it over any of these cheap 3-4 thousand dollar entry level tubs that are out there.  run it on 110v, unless they are including the 220v sub-panel with it.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:07:18 pm »
Hi all,

I've been in the market for a hot tub for the past few months, have made the rounds to my local dealers and have spend a number of hours on this and other similar sites.  I guess I was a bit naive when I first got into this and didn't think the cost would be as high as it is.  An entry-level, new HotSpot tub is going to run me in the $6k range, not including electrical.  I'm all for investing in quality, but I'm a bit concerned that I'll shell out a large amount of money, and then be the only person in my family to enjoy it.  There are four of us in my family, and my oldest who would most likely use it as much as I would will be away at college in 1.5 years. 

I have been looking at Craigslist, and much of what I see looks like junk, and all look to be empty.  I did find a 2003 Hot Spring Prodigy listed in the low $2k's that's full of water an operational (from my e-mail discussion with the seller).  I've spoken to the local Hot Spring dealer, and they would move it for $300, and I would look to offer something below $2k, that would keep the overall cost close to $2K, again, not including electric.

Would I be foolish to contemplate purchasing a tub this old?  I'm fairly handy, but am not looking to spend my time fixing a hot tub.

Any opinions and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

People should be extremely choosey with hot tubs from Craigslist and stick to well made brands that have been well maintained and fully check them out before they buy and move it. You're taking the right approach and if the spa checks out thats a great spa to get used that you can find out how much you like hot tubbing. I've got a 14 year old Hot Spring Grandee at home that I think has another decade left in it, hopefully this one will treat you just as well as mine has treated me.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:33:16 pm »
$4000.00 buys a LOT of repairs.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tubber1111

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:23:03 pm »
Thanks all for the advice.  May also see if the local dealer will come down in price on his used tubs.  What he has listed on his website for the used tubs are way too high.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:23:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42