What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to clean scum from waterline?  (Read 14375 times)

hottub63

How to clean scum from waterline?
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »
I have some "scum" around the water line of my tub...it is sort of sticky and hard to get off.....(I have since changed out my filters and added a scum bag..) However I need to clean off the waterline of the tub. Any suggestions on how to best do this? I tried a sponge, and a magic eraser but this stuff on the waterline is SUPER hard to get off..I almost need to use my finger nails to get it off. I didn't know if I should use vinger and/or arm and hammer baking soda since I wasn't sure if it could mess up the water if any of it got in there...

Any suggestions? Is a tooth brush safe to use?

Hot Tub Forum

How to clean scum from waterline?
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »

summerside9000

Re: How to clean scum from waterline?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:56:55 pm »
I just came across this blurb from Hot tubs for dummies. Does anyone know if it works? I also understand the floating sponge does the trick too.

Cleaning your Hot Tub
At the waterline, grease and rubbish can build up that creates a line around the tub which provides an ideal ground for bacteria and algae to breed. To remove these lines easily and prevent them appearing use Hot Tub Water Line Cleaning Paste daily.

Hot Tub Water Line Cleaning Paste should also be used every time prior to refilling. Cleaning the Filter Cartridge

You will be able to tell when the filter needs cleaning as the circulation within the hot tub will be reduced and the water cleanliness will change.

To avoid the inconvenience of the filter not working we recommend that it should be cleaned at monthly intervals or more if you use your hot tub heavily.
Hot Tub Cartridge Cleaner helps clean and restores filters to their full efficiency.

hottub63

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:01:06 pm »
What is "hot tub line cleaning paste"?? Can I make my own?

Flyonthewall

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:17:24 pm »
this may be related to the silk balance if you went that route.  some customers experience it (although easier to rub off) for the 1st few weeks of use.  for cleaning with water in the tub we like baking soda on a rag or sponge.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:48:43 pm »
rag, sponge, even those Mr. Clean magic erasers work good if you have a shiny shell surface

hottub63

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:10:49 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone. Will baking soda harm the water (mess up the balance) if it gets into the water while I'm cleaning?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 01:22:09 pm »
I use baking soda to clean the waterline in our tubs all the time in our store. It may very slightly elevate the TA (and possibly the pH), but the change would be very, very slight.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottub63

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:26:22 pm »
Ok..I'm using silk so it won't mess that up right?

HuMan321

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:29 pm »
Are you using Silk and dichlor on the same day? If so, that will give you problems.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:50:31 am »
I would tell them to go home an by their own hot tub!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:50:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42