What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: now rip or tell me if its a decent value (all things considered) geo spa  (Read 11611 times)

brillskill

heres the tub a little less than 3300 delivered curbside plus a 330 dollar store credit at the site i bought it from.  the tub i bought is identical just branded differently for internet retailers..http://calspas.com/aqua-select-spas/aqua-select-as730b/

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
You can't judge value by a web site or a spa delivery or a price. 5 years from now you can see value. And if a 3300 dollar tub last's for 5 years then in the additional years the value will go up. We know you can buy a 8000 dollar tub that will last for 15-20 I've seen it many many times. I paid 3800 for a brand new Great Lakes that lasted for 8 and is still running for it's second owner. It has however had a new pump, heater and control installed at a little over 5. It is getting close to it's end with brittle PVC and wear.

Now the under efficiency of that GL value tub would of cut into any value created by the low cost and the value type of longevity it proved. However I changed the insulation scheme on it to make it maintain the value created by the low price. In Northern Minnesota that was a huge issue. May not be for some value purchasers. The hydrotherapy? Well, I have now had a chance over the years to see what that means. It was a good introduction to the inside of hot tubs for me. Being an on and off tub owner for 20 years and in the plumbing industry for almost 30, value is not in a low price. There are 3 things that contribute to it. Price, longevity and function. Seems like you have the first one conquered but have a ways to go to determine the value of your purchase.
Retired

brillskill

Ty,I just meant on specs alone..I bought a 2k 110 friction heat still working after 10 years :so I know the other variables can only be known with time

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Ty,I just meant on specs alone..I bought a 2k 110 friction heat still working after 10 years :so I know the other variables can only be known with time

Specs mean nothing. They are twisted and turned and written to do one thing. Sell a product.

On first read to me it seems like hundreds of other value tubs. BHP on the pump spec. no clear picture on the R-value of the insulation. An insulated cabinet air space with venting to cool the pump motor???

"Cal Spas is the first in the industry to offer LED jets with individual On/Off functionality - patent pending!"
Not true, LED jets have been around a long time and to say that they have the first jets that turn off and on individually...LOL laughable lies. Waterway created jets that turned off and on individually 25-30 years ago.

I could keep going but my point is the web site and specs used to sell that tub have absolutely nothing to do with the fit, finish, longevity or feel of that tub on the cal spa web site. So it also has nothing to do with the tub you bought.
Retired

TwinCitiesHotSpring

personally I'd buy a higher end used tub for 3-4k than buy that brand new, just my opinion and what do i know I'm sure one of the "experts" that has been around tubs for 3 months will come in and tell me what I should have said...gl with your purchase

brillskill

Look at this hotubguy..this I y I won't buy a used tub!

bimmerdog

personally I'd buy a higher end used tub for 3-4k than buy that brand new, just my opinion and what do i know I'm sure one of the "experts" that has been around tubs for 3 months will come in and tell me what I should have said...gl with your purchase

:'(

Hot Spring Ace

Look at this hotubguy..this I y I won't buy a used tub!

I don't think thats bad advice actually but that also may not work for everyone.

The reality is when you're shopping for spas and you only have $3k to $5k to spend you have to navigate around a lot the cheap junk that is out there because its really hit and miss, especially with all the spas you can blindly get on the intenet and even ebay. Some people are more believers in getting a good used premium spa that has tried and true quality history and there is a lot of merit in that approach so don't dismiss it. Like everything, buying a new budget spa is fine if you make a good chocie.

brillskill

Ace..u know anything about the geo I bought?..

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Personally have never seen a cal spa before.  Would I have rather seen you buy a tub from a local guy, yes but it's your money and if you are comfortable with your purchase then that's all that matters.  Happy hottubbing!  When's it arrive?

Hot Spring Ace

I know Cal fairly well but not this model, they tend to have a ton of models and change things a lot so I bet its tough to keep up even if you're a dealer. Good luck to you, hope all works out well and congrats.

brillskill

Should be here April 2nd

brillskill

Btw hotubguy I meant the other other guy.the one who bought a used tub with all his problems now

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member

I know Cal fairly well but not this model, they tend to have a ton of models and change things a lot so I bet its tough to keep up even if you're a dealer. Good luck to you, hope all works out well and congrats.

This was one of the most frustrating thing with them.  Sure they were always coming out with something different, but we always had to stay on top of parts.   One tub of the same series might have something different in it and we wouldn't know it till we went out and looked at it.   Then trying to get the right part from them was an issue in itself..

Brillskill quit worrying about what you bought.  It will probably be fine, but then again it might not!     You won't know till you get it up and running, if you can make it the first month or two without any problems specially right out of the box you will be alright..

brillskill

not really worried Jim..just making conversation..hoping someone who actually has this specific tub chimes in

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42