What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What sort of wiring is needed for Hot Spring Prodigy  (Read 13866 times)

hottub63

What sort of wiring is needed for Hot Spring Prodigy
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:37:48 pm »
I am buying a Hot Spring Prodigy Hot Tub that's running 220 (I know it can also use 110, but this one is on 220.) It's a 2007 model. I'm having an electrician come over and install the correct wiring, but I don't know what I need, can someone chime in?

Is it 50 amp, 30 amp, or something else? What EXACTLY do I need to tell the electrician I need? By the way this Hot Tub has a normal 220 plug on it that will just plug up directly...

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

What sort of wiring is needed for Hot Spring Prodigy
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:37:48 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: What sort of wiring is needed for Hot Spring Prodigy
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:17:04 pm »
You will need a gfci. I would imagine 50 amp but not positive. Hopefully one of the hot spring guys see this. They are usually very helpful

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:07:46 pm »
There is no 220 plug available on any HotSpring tub sold in the US. Export? I'm not sure.

If you are referring to the 20 AMP 110 volt plug, it DOES look different, but it is not 220.

HTH

8)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:06:56 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:39:17 pm »
I have seen 220 lines that plug directly in before. Might have been something the electrician did or more ten likely chas is correct its like a cat eye looking 110 plug.

Flyonthewall

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:00:00 pm »
if you go on the hot spring website you can dl a pre-delivery booklet for you model.  the wiring would be the same for yours as a 2013 model, if you dl the newer guide.  it is 50 amps from your source.  the convertible sub-panel contains a 30 amp 220 gfci breaker and a 20 amp 110v gfci breaker.  refer to the pre-delivery book for exact wire specs.  if you end up finding 110v to be a better choice don't fret, that spa works great with that setup.

Hollywood

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:22:23 am »
I am buying a Hot Spring Prodigy Hot Tub that's running 220 (I know it can also use 110, but this one is on 220.) It's a 2007 model. I'm having an electrician come over and install the correct wiring, but I don't know what I need, can someone chime in?

Is it 50 amp, 30 amp, or something else? What EXACTLY do I need to tell the electrician I need? By the way this Hot Tub has a normal 220 plug on it that will just plug up directly...

Thanks.

Tell the electrician that the spa is a 50amp spa.  He should know everything else.  But just in case, a gfi breaker is required and a means of disconnect is required within sight of the spa equipment.  He should run 4 wires (2 hots, a neutral and a ground) to the spa panel.  The absolute minumum wire size is #8 but that is under the best conditions.  Most likely it will be #6 and if it is a long run it could be more.  But again, the electrician should know all that.  You just need to tell him that it is a 50amp spa.

Hope that helped

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:13:15 am »
Egads!! No. Make SURE the electrician has wired a HotSpring Portable Spa before: they are quite different in their wiring needs than other tubs.

To convert to 220v on your Prodigy, you will need 50A Non-GFI breaker at the main panel, and then a sub panel with TWO breakers inside: one 30A 2pole GFCI breaker and one 20A 1pole GFCI breaker. The 20A breaker runs everything except the heater.

Your dealer should be able to supply you with a sub panel equipped with not only the needed breakers, but a full set of wiring instructions, including how to swap the jumpers. Very important. I sell the convertible panel for $215 plus shipping, and it's a good deal as the breakers alone can cost more than that.

MOST electricians have not wired a HotSpring tub, and will not know how to do it correctly.

8)

Sam

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 01:35:54 pm »
Chas, what exactly is the sales pitch for that type of breaker?  Something about freeze protection?  That if the heater breaker trips then the pump will still work?  How often does that kind of situation actually occur?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 02:10:45 pm »
Chas, what exactly is the sales pitch for that type of breaker?  Something about freeze protection?  That if the heater breaker trips then the pump will still work?  How often does that kind of situation actually occur?

That is the reasoning behind the split breakers.  How often?  Don't have the stats, but if it is once in mid west winter, it is worth it.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:33:41 am »

Not sales pitch. It's the right way to do things: most makers send the full 50A into the control board. Not a fan of that. Our cheapest spas do, and it still makes me nervous. For one thing, you have items which should be protected by a breaker sized appropriately for those components. Such as the motor(s). If you simply put in one 50A breaker, then you have to have a hardware-store fuse to protect the items which should NOT be on a 50A breaker. A lot of tub makers WILL put in a fuse for the pump, perhaps a blower (if so equipped) but nothing on the heater. Can you imagine how much damage can be done by the current flowing through a heating element before it will trip a 50A breaker?

In the freezing areas, a bad heater should only trip the breaker protecting it: the 30A in some models (6KW heaters), and the 20A in others (4KW heaters). Yes, you can keep the circ pump running, as well as kick on the jets as needed to keep from freezing. But look at a map folks: a whole lot more people live on our coasts, so this is really not the big "selling tool" you might think it is. It's just good engineering.

8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:33:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42