What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie, struggling to bring hot tub into balance  (Read 2508 times)

rob137

Newbie, struggling to bring hot tub into balance
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:05 am »
I have a place in the mountains that I rent.  It has a hot tub and the rental company pays someone to come out once a week and check on the chemicals.  I didn't/don't trust that this is being done properly.  So I was up there this weekend and took some water to a spa store for analysis.  They basically said to dump the tub, refill and bring back into balance.  I picked up a taylor test kit like the one I used to use with my pool.  I have trouble reading the strips.

Anyway, I dump the tub and refill.  An analysis of the water indicates, pH 8, no alkalinity, no hardness.  So I look at the tables and come up with the quantities to push the results toward pH 7.6, TA 100 and 200 CH.  I put in dry acid, baking soda and calcium at basically the same time and then turn the spa jets on to circulate.

A couple hours later, I check again and the TA is around 110, CH 200, but pH remains 8.  So I put in more dry acid, wait retest.  pH is still high, but I have dragged down the TA to around 70 or so, CH still 200.

So more dry acid, wait retest.  same results, but now I'm getting nothing for CH.   The water looks crystal clear.

Check again this morning, pH is 7.8, TA 80, but no CH, put in 8 oz of hardness increaser (300 gallon tub), check again in an hour, still no CH.

Help.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie, struggling to bring hot tub into balance
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:05 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Newbie, struggling to bring hot tub into balance
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:45 am »
I tell my customers to wait eight hours before retesting.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:28 pm »
I tell my customers to wait eight hours before retesting.

8)

this....especially when testing CH

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42