What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Where to start my research? Looking for first hot tub!  (Read 7103 times)

codoggydr

Where to start my research? Looking for first hot tub!
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:32:23 am »
Hello,
I have been lurking and reading and find myself quite overwhelmed with the volume of information available!  I am starting to look for our first hot tub and wondered if I could get some general guidance on how to research our options.  We are a family of 5, including 3 preteen children.   I expect that we will often have 4 to 5 of us in the tub with other friends joining several times per month.  We live in New England and will be placing the tub in a screen porch. 

Some of the priorities we have identified are: energy efficiency, ease of use/care, large enough to fit our family of (larger) adults and growing children, good therapeutic jets for neck and back pain (arthritis and fibromyalgia), comfort of seating (obviously we will need to wet test to determine this for ourselves), excellent dealer reputation/service, warranty, company/specific product reputation for quality and customer service.  What does not matter in the least:  water features, lights, stereo or other entertainment systems.

Thank you for bearing with me!  My questions are:

where can I find price lists or average/reasonable prices prior to getting dealer quotes?

Besides word of mouth, BBB, customer references provided by dealer, and my personal impressions, how do I find a reputable dealer (live in Western MA and am having trouble finding some of this information)?

I have the opportunity to go to a home and garden show this weekend where several of the brands I am considering are represented.  Given how early I am in the search, how would you recommend I approach this show?  What information can be gleaned from looking before I have completed much of my research?

I am not looking to purchase at this home show as my spouse is out of the country and won't be able to see/test any tubs. 

Thank you so much for any input you have!

Hot Tub Forum

Where to start my research? Looking for first hot tub!
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:32:23 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Where to start my research? Looking for first hot tub!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:29:42 am »
There is no site/place where you can find what the prices should be. As far as spa brands, my personal short list would include Caldera, D1, Hot springs, Jacuzzi and Sundance as manufacturers that make a quality product that is energy efficient, built to last with a warranty that they'll honor. What I can't speak to is the quality of the dealers in your area. You can go to the websites of spa manufacturers and use their dealer locators to see who is in your area but you'll have to visit and ask questions to get a feel for whether you think they're someone you want to do business with. When it comes time to decide you'd be wise to wet test the 2 or 3 choices you’re considering as that is the best way to know whether the spa you are considering is the right one for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

summerside9000

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:15:15 pm »
In my area, there is a home show going on this weekend and one of the spa manufacturers locally could not get a spot in the show so they are offering blowout proices this weekend to get some traffic through their store. MAXX is the brand. Wet test is the best advice really. They are all nice on the outside.
This is a good place to find out stuff. Search the forums. If you want quality and ownership reviews you will come down to about three manufacturers that rate the highest. determine what size you want and go for the features you really want. Dealer who is no pressure and has been around awhile are good points to look out for.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:57:14 pm »
You have quite few choices in western mass.  Teddy Bear is a reputable company who sells hot springs, sun and splash do bullfrog, jelly belly does sundance and 21st century does maax plus Crocker sales will probably be there selling artesian and master. Buy based more on reputation of the companies. Teddy bear is the big company but I have heard mixed things about them. Jelly belly is probably the best company to deal with and the sundance s are a nice tub. I would stay away from master spas. I am in eastern ma so I get customers in for chemicals who have bought at these shows

Sam

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:38:49 pm »
Seeing that you have a Bullfrog dealer in your area, do yourself a favor and at least check them out.  The new 2013 models are amazing!  I have not been this excited about a product release ever.  The new JetPak design is revolutionary.  The new tubs are very sleek and elegant.  My only complaint about Bullfrog in the past was that they didn't have the aesthetic appeal that some of the other high-end tubs have.  This is no longer the issue.

There are a lot of great tubs out there.  Good luck in your search. 

codoggydr

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:19:50 pm »
Thank you all for your help!  We spent 4 hours at the home show this afternoon and have 3 wet tests scheduled for tomorrow.  One at Jelly Belly's store (Sundance Cameo);  one at Jelly Belly's booth (Jacuzzi 480); one at Teddy Bear (HotSpring Aria).  Wish we could test out the other models we are also considering, but none of them are set up for a wet test.  This is at least a start.  I'll let you know the outcome of our tests!

Thanks again :)

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:54:41 pm »
Good choices and both companies have a reputation for taking care of their customers

jacksonbird03

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 02:07:35 am »
The best way is to search the different dealers in your area and take the suggestions with your neighbours ...
And search the market about the products..

Jac-470

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:27:26 am »
If your in on the Jacuzzi, Matley's pool and spa in Pepperal gave me a killer deal on the 470. Great to deal with.

codoggydr

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 05:29:23 pm »
So, wet tests went well.  Going purely on jet placement and feel/seat configuration/comfort, we eliminated the Sundance.  Quite liked both the Jacuzzi 480 and the HotSpring (tested the aria, but are looking at purchasing the vista).  There were a couple of things about each that I didn't love, but can get around (little things like not liking the shape of the pillow in one or the back massage in a single seat in the other.  Both companies have been flexible with delivery dates, are including the same extras (cover, hydraulic cover lift, nonskid steps, delivery and set up, chemicals, etc).  Should there be a big difference in the price of these models?  Not looking at stereos in either or the Ace salt system in the Vista.  Quotes for floor models were Jacuzzi 480: 12,000 and for the HotSpring Vista was 10,499.  I will say that I thought the fit/finish on the Jacuzzi seemed nicer and several knobs popped off repeatedly during our wet test of the HotSpring.  This worried me a bit....is this indicative of overall quality of the HotSpring spa?

Again, thank you for all the help/input! 

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 09:42:54 pm »
So, wet tests went well.  Going purely on jet placement and feel/seat configuration/comfort, we eliminated the Sundance.  Quite liked both the Jacuzzi 480 and the HotSpring (tested the aria, but are looking at purchasing the vista).  There were a couple of things about each that I didn't love, but can get around (little things like not liking the shape of the pillow in one or the back massage in a single seat in the other.  Both companies have been flexible with delivery dates, are including the same extras (cover, hydraulic cover lift, nonskid steps, delivery and set up, chemicals, etc).  Should there be a big difference in the price of these models?  Not looking at stereos in either or the Ace salt system in the Vista.  Quotes for floor models were Jacuzzi 480: 12,000 and for the HotSpring Vista was 10,499.  I will say that I thought the fit/finish on the Jacuzzi seemed nicer and several knobs popped off repeatedly during our wet test of the HotSpring.  This worried me a bit....is this indicative of overall quality of the HotSpring spa?

Again, thank you for all the help/input!

That is a great price on the Vista. The dealer can take care of the knobs if you're buying the wet test spa, not sure why it was an issue. Both spas are very good, I'm biased but you can't go wrong with either. You can try to negotiate further but I'm thinking thats about as low as they'll go probably

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:35 am »
You may find this thread useful, my November buying experience:

Comparing Hot Tub Options $4-6k - Springfield, MA
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16022.0.html

I have a lot of experience over the years cycling through the companies in this area and can comment on many of them.

If you liked the Jacuzzi I would say go with them. I was also strongly leaning towards that dealer at the beginning. No firsthand experience with the dealer, but checking around they seemed ok.

If you liked the HotSpring look somewhere else for a dealer (maybe Connecticut), Teddy is a terrible choice in terms of service for both Pool and Spa!

Although the Bullfrog spas did interest me, I wouldn't be too excited about buying from the Bullfrog dealer either. I've had mixed experience with them, but on the troubleshooting side it was awful.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:03:15 pm by rin-spa-aic »

codoggydr

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:42:06 pm »
So, we went with the Jacuzzi.  We won't take delivery until our deck/screen room are rebuilt.  I'll check in when we get it and give an update.  Thank you to everyone for all of the helpful replies!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:42:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42