What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot springs vangard???  (Read 9044 times)

spalessincali

Hot springs vangard???
« on: May 31, 2004, 08:25:30 pm »
Well it's been a long journey, but we finally arrived at a decision.The wet tests are over and the vangard is the winner. The only problem i'm having is getting a price that i'm comfortable with. My local dealer has offered the vangard and all the usual inclusives for $8050.00 and an additional $1795.00 for the Spadio for a grand total of $10,568.00 not including electrical. Wow, does that sound right to you hot spring owners out there? Please let me know what you all think, I'm about to pull the trigger..........thanks in advance

Hot Tub Forum

Hot springs vangard???
« on: May 31, 2004, 08:25:30 pm »

spalessincali

Re: Hot springs vangard???
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 10:57:17 pm »
$10,568.00 is with tax..............anyone  out there. I know this is my first post, but i,ve been lurking this board like a (staulker...really bad speller) for at least 5 months.

Electro

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 12:42:30 am »
spalessincali,

You've got to be kidding.  The SpAudio at $1795 is priced about double what it usually goes for.

Secondly, the SpAudio is a terrible sound system.  Have you actually tried listening to it in the spa with music that you know well?  The idea that music could be broadcast to you through the spa water was and is preposterous.  Basically, all your sound will be garbled and becomes unintelligible.  Have you ever stuck your head under water in a pool and listened.  Well, if you're a porpoise or whale, maybe it'd work.

Spend your money on a real sound system and cancel the SpAudio.

Electro

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 12:57:56 am »
spalessincali,

You've got to be kidding.  The SpAudio at $1795 is priced about double what it usually goes for.

Secondly, the SpAudio is a terrible sound system.  Have you actually tried listening to it in the spa with music that you know well?  The idea that music could be broadcast to you through the spa water was and is preposterous.  Basically, all your sound will be garbled and becomes unintelligible.  Have you ever stuck your head under water in a pool and listened.  Well, if you're a porpoise or whale, maybe it'd work.

Spend your money on a real sound system and cancel the SpAudio.

Electro

Good advice!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 07:13:53 am »
I paid $7700 for my Vanguard last August, in Oklahoma.  I, personally, didn't go with the Spaudio because I figured I could bring a radio outside with me to listen to.  Not a big deal to me!

Just my $.02.

P.S.  I LOVE my Vanguard!  Would not trade for it!  It is the best thing I have done for myself in my whole life!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »
I have the Spaudio on my spa - and I love it. I'm fussy about quality of sound - having done pro audio .  ;D

Electro - have you ever tried it? Wet? It works great! there is no "garbling" of the sound. The music comes to you from the shell - above the water - so you get crisp clear sound. Go soak your head. In a spa with Spaudio  ;) - actually, nobody expects you to have to put your head under - just sit back, relax, and enjoy the tunes.

Yes it's pricey, but it's one-of-a-kind. You don't have speakers to worry about, you don't have to replace automotive stereos, boom boxes, no need to run wires for speakers, or do alot of other things - and it's part of the tub's ETL listing: no way you could ever drop it into the spa and ....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 12:24:35 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 02:07:50 pm »
I'd have to back Chas on this one. I've heard the spadio as well and it was far from garbled IMO. I'm not sure if the previous garbled opinion was based on actual experience or just drawn from the thinking that it would seem odd that you'd get good sound quality in that manner of application (my original assumption as well). I don't doubt that the cost would hold some back but I'd be surprised if many who've tried it can objectively knock it much and at a minimum its unique which can be good in an industry where things can be so similar or even knocked off.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 04:18:05 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Electro

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 04:05:36 pm »
Chas and Spatech t.u.o.                          ???

The garbled sound is mostly in the bass, which is absolutely terrible due to the time/ phase shifts of the differing frequencies.  The different speeds of sound in the spa shell, in water, and in air makes all the difference.

I'll admit this system is unique.  After all, there are some folks that apparently like Mark Levinson Company's distorted sound or, worse yet, tube electronics.

Electro

drb

• Official 4 Star "Best of Class" spa searcher... ;)
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 05:33:12 pm »
Hey, now!  Don't be dissin' tube audio!!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Hot springs vanguard???
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 09:34:43 pm »
The different frequencies all arrive at the upper shell area at the same time - yes, the speed of sound through solid, air and water is different, but unless you have a calibrated mic and a computer hooked up to analyze it, you're not going to have trouble with phase displacement on these systems.

Again I say - try it. Wet. Get into the thing. It works well.

BTW - I have a tube 'Rotosphere' on my keyboard rig. Does a great job of imitating a Leslie speaker. I love the warm sound of tube electronics - I just don't like having to carry them to gigs!

Electro

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 10:48:09 pm »
Chas,                     :)

Do you actually believe this?
In the previous post you said:

The different frequencies all arrive at the upper shell area at the same time - yes, the speed of sound through solid, air and water is different, but unless you have a calibrated mic and a computer hooked up to analyze it, you're not going to have trouble with phase displacement on these systems.

It is inconceivable to me that you cannot hear the garbled sound.  The phase distortion is one key element.   On the other hand, I can almost see the garbled sound as it reflects from the windows of stores that sell tube equipment.  Just kidding!  But, I cannot stand the sound.  I listen to many real unamplified instruments daily and have big problems with most audio systems.  They just do not sound real.

I have to wonder what folks mean when they say that tube electronics provide a "warm" sound.  It just sounds garbled.  Actually, once one reviews the nonlinear mathematics for tube equipment (and sees that sine waves become something else), it becomes obvious why the sound is so distorted.

Electro

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 11:49:34 pm »
we were recently quoted 7195 for a Vanguard spa.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Hot springs vanguard???
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 12:57:09 am »
Electro,

I can understand that if you listen to live music a lot, any sound system is going to leave you cold. In fact, the vagaries of tubes seem to be their most endearing feature: that 'warmth' that people report is actually a seriously 'colored' sound that tends to please some people.

I have a friend who owns a recording studio, and its all digital. I can't stand the stuff that comes out of there! Far too pure and 'fake.' He has a couple of tube mic pre-amps that are very popular with vocalists - you go to this fully digital studio and plug your vocal mic into a tube pre-amp to get a nice sound.

Most of his stuff is technically perfect, but too austere and isolated for me. And if you put it into headphones, even high-end cans, it'll drive me nuts.

So - I guess I'm saying I like the way the Spaudio sounds, with its mathematical inequalities and all. In my humble opinion, they did it right - especially considering the application they have to work with.

The best part? Its an option.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 12:58:15 am by Chas »

Electro

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 10:13:37 am »
Chas,

You are right.  The application, especially with jets going, doesn't allow for the type sound I like.  Sometimes, any noise is good.

Electro

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 12:07:02 pm »
Now you two shake hands.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 12:07:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42